Hello, I'm in need of some advice - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Hello, I'm in need of some advice

Hello all, this if my first post on here. I didn't know who to come to as nobody in my family owns cats and can relate to my situation. I have been so sad all day today and yesterday. My pregnant wife and I have owned Jack for almost 3 years; he is an orange tabby. We live in a fourth floor condo and adopted Jack back in July of 2008 from the SPCA as a kitten. Just yesterday we surrendered him to the local SPCA because of his unruly behavior, he just wouldn't listen. He kept peeing in random places, kept us up at night, scraped the walls in the middle of the night, he whined and cried all night, this went on for almost the entire duration we owned him. He was so cuddly and affectionate. He was quite vengeful too as in when we got home from a trip, he would make a point of peeing in my wife's suitcase. We love him dearly and on Sunday we woke up to the entire place smelling like pee. We had taken him to the vet on numerous occasions to see if he had a UT infection but it was not the case according to him. He was also very anxious and got scared over almost my slightest sudden movement. We tried to see if we could have him live with family and friends but nobody would take him so we had no choice but to give him up and it was the hardest decision we ever made. All morning my wife and I were a wreck and debated on whether or not to get him back because we love him SO much. My wife is almost 8 months pregnant with our first child and we are really afraid that because we know he is vengeful that it would only get worse with a child introduced and that his "play room" would turn into the baby's room and that we could not allow him in there for fear that he would harm the baby. It has been so tough on us. We have done nothing but cry and shed tears over our decision and to boot, I am a Customs/Immigration officer, I see heartache from people every shift if I cannot let them in the country. I really don't know what to do. I miss him like crazy but a part of me feels like it is better in the long run. I love him so much that I e-mailed the SPCA where we sent him to and said that if it ever came down to euthanizing him, that we would take him back. I feel too though that he was not incredibly happy here; he kept seeing another cat next door and would whine all night as if he either was trying to speak to it or wanted to be with it. His only opportunity outside was on our balcony and I think he liked it out there. Please offer me some guidance as our hearts are aching so badly. Everyone close to us knew what we were putting up with for the last 3 years and feel that it was the right choice but as fellow cat owners, do you think it was given this information? Our dilemma is that if we do take him back and he harms the baby (given his previous behavior), we will never forgive ourselves. But we don't know for sure if he will until the baby arrives. Thank you all for taking the time to read this. I really don't know what to do... I hope and pray almost every minute that he goes to a loving home where he can roam around outside and be free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page