Help with Cat Behavior problem - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Help with Cat Behavior problem

My two 7 month old male, brother kittens, stayed overnight at the vet's office after a spay/neutering procedure. When I brought them home, all they wanted to do was hiss and growl at each other, attempting to fight. I got them at 4 months of age, and they have been the biggest buddies with each other until now. Will this behavior last long? They act normal with my husband and I individually. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 11:14 AM
Jr. Cat

No it doesn't last long. This is very common. Your guys have always identified each other by smell and now the invader scent is covering it up. They think of each other as strangers temporarily. It should subside when they've cleaned themselves. Just make sure one doesn't scare another at the litterbox. This ends up in kitty relieving himself in other places.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 01:42 PM
Premier Cat

This is a normal reaction. I had a similar thing with my two after they were at the vet's for bloodwork prior to a dental cleaning. Normally my two are cuddle buddies, but my girl would have nothing to do with her half-bro for 2 days...lots of hissing and growling.

You might try rubbing a dry washcloth around the mouth scent glands of one cat and rubbing it on the forehead of the other, and vice versa. Some people put a drop of vanilla on foreheads to harmonize their scents. Hope you get them back to being buddies again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 10:17 PM
Premier Cat

Hi and welcome! As the others have said, this is normal. Abby started hissing at Muffs when she came back from the vet's office. It lasted a few days, but they were fine again thereafter. I kept them separated when I was at work and overnight. When I was around to supervise, I played with them as much as possible and did lots of scent exchanges and scent rubs. Your boys should be back to normal again in a few days.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 01:40 PM
Kitten

Common, same thing happened to my cat!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page