Hello Everyone - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Hello Everyone

I just wrote this all once but it gotten eaten I think. I copied it before sending so here it is again.
I am new and my name is Jaye and I have been blessed with the privilege to care for a 4 1/2 week old baby kitten. He and 6 more babies were found under a friendís house about 3 weeks ago. Me being a dog person my whole life I never dreamed of getting this opportunity to care for such a tiny little kitten before. The other kittens unfortunately didn't survive and the person originally taking care of them did her best but she really didn't know how to care for them. I then said that I would take the last one and do my best. I have 3 dogs two Chihuahuas and a Maltese/poodle mix all 3 are rescues. One Chihuahua is crippled and needs 24 hour care anyway. I also have MS and I shake a little and I am off balance some. Anyway almost a week ago I took one look at this tiny little kitten and my heart melted. I named her/him Tinker (Tinkerbell) if it turns out to be a girl. I still cannot tell what sex it is yet. I have been calling it a he and I will here until I find out otherwise. He didn't look good that first night I was worried he wouldn't make it. The lady said she had fed him but he acted as if he was hungry and so I gave him his first meal he was so hungry. And, man did we make a mess. The first night I didn't really know if what I was doing was the right thing or even how I got involved with him. He got sprung on me. I have never had a cat before so this is all new to me.
I kept him all warm under my shirt until I needed sleep and I used this cloth kitty carrier I bought that day and he slept all nice and warm in his new home. The next day he was bright eyed and so precious. He took to me so well but I guess feeding him did help that along a lot. He is just a tiny little joy now. It will be a week this Friday and I can't imagine life without him now. He's not afraid of the dogs at all and they are really good with him but I never leave them alone unsupervised because anything could happen. He looks to be almost 5 weeks now from what I have seen on the charts. He has tiny teeth like little tacks. Three days ago I taught him how to lick his milk he didnít know how so I let 3 little pieces of hard kitty food float in his milk it worked to. He licked his milk not like a pro yet but heís doing great. He's so smart so no more bottles. I shack too badly for that anyway. I was scared of aspirating him so I am glad the bottle is out of the way. I have been feeding him kitten formula/soft Iams kitten food and a few hard kitten food softened all mixed together. He gets this 3 times a day and he has access to hard food and water all the time. He actually is starting to crunch on his hard food now more but loves to sit in it too lolÖ I contacted my vet and he has an appointment Monday. When he is 2 pounds I will have him fixed. I am a firm believer in this. I want the very best for this little guy just as I would if he was one of my dogs. I have lots of questions about how to best train him so that he is a happy loving member of the family.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 04:41 PM
Cat Addict

Hi and welcome to the forum! That was such a nice story. You should be proud of rescuing kittens like that.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thank you. I think it's more of just doing the right thing for an innocent creature. I have been reading the old post and I have to say some of the things I read scared me a little. I never had a cat before so I am not sure what to expect. Taking care of Tinker I have to say is easier than all the dogs and puppies I have raised and or fostered. None were ever as young as Tinker though. I feel like I have this little life in my hands and how he grows up and acts has a lot to do with how much I help him learn and most of all how much I love him. It's been a week today and I have watched him change every day. It is amazing every day he has learned to do two or 3 thingís right in front of my eyes. The first time I saw him try to stalk Taz my littlest Chihuahua I just laughed it was so darn cute. He just moved two steps and sat and watched Taz. The dogs I have trained to behave and watch their manners when other animals are around. Tinkers the baby and I have been telling the dogs awww isn't he such a good baby and the sound of my voice gets them excited. Mija she's my crippled Chihuahua I think believes Tinker is her baby. I watch her interaction with Tinker at all times because she sometimes falls over and has trouble walking she's 6 pounds and Tinker is only 10 oz's.
One question I was wondering was I have a sander nail trimmer I use on the dogs now can I keep Tinkers nails trimmed with that or do I need a nail trimmer that cuts the nails. He loves for me to massage his little toes for now and I want to start this nail trimming now while heís still this tiny.
Also I need to tell you that I believe Tinker may be deaf. He doesnít react at all to the dogs barking when someone comes to the door. And, doesnít come when I call him unless I am moving and he follows me. I took pennies and stuck them in a bottle and shook them right next to him and he didnít even react at all or even look at the bottle. Then I tried it right at that moment where he just about drifts off to sleep and he didnít even move or open his eyes. Could he be just ignoring the sound or do you think he may be deaf. I have this on my list of things to speak to his vet about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 10:59 PM
Premier Cat

Hi and welcome to the Forum! It sounds like you're doing a good job with the new kitten. I would only note that, unlike dogs, kittens (and cats) do better with wet food rather than dry. So, if you can, I would just feed wet food or at least mostly wet.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I thought that dry food helps build strong teeth and helps keep them clean too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page