2 kitties in Japan**long, sorry** - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

2 kitties in Japan**long, sorry**

Hi everyone, I read that I must post in here first introducing myself so here it goes. My name is Jessica and I currently live in Japan. Well Okinawa which is an island providence of Japan. We are here on a military tour of duty and have been here for a little longer then 3 years now. We live off base in a entirely Japanese neighborhood. I have two cats that are a year old. They are brothers and a mix of an American long haired calico mother and a stray Japanese father that clearly had a Siamese background.

Leo is a Siamese with seal point markings. His tail is crooked, shaped like an upside down L. He was born like this and it's apparently very common for cats over here. He doesn't look like a modern siamese, more traditional but with the very slight build of the local cats. He's very snotty and stuck up, haha. I might be the only person in the household that he actually likes. He's my little buddy and I love him to death.

Arlo looks some like a lynx point siamese but instead of a plain cream colored body with the striped legs and face, his body is spotted like a leopard with the striped legs and face. He is larger then his brother, okay maybe fatter then his brother and take more after his american mother in build. He's friendlier(or was at least) then his brother but still rather aloof. He prefers being outside exploring rather then hanging out inside.

My two started out as indoor cats but as they got older they wanted to explore outside so I let them. They started getting into cat fights with local cats but that stopped as soon as they were neutered. They continued happily as indoor/outdoor cats until recently.

We live right next to a large sugarcane field. Sugarcane has a two year or so growing period before being harvested. Several weeks ago the cane next to our house was harvested and not a week later my Leo came home with a bite from a Habu which is a poisonous viper native to the Ryukyu island chain. It was a grazing bit on the head. He was a very sick kitty and had a 3 day stay in the local kitty hospital but he survived. We thought it was a fluke, snake bites are fairly common with pets here and this was re enforced by our vet telling us it would be VERY unlikely to happen again. He came home, stayed inside a good week before venturing out again.

Then not 2 weeks later Arlo was also bitten. His bite was quite serious though because he received a full bite in the chest above his heart. My vet told me to say goodbye when I had to leave because they didn't think he would survive. As it turned out being fat worked in his favor. Let's hear it for the fatties! The venom didn't reach the muscles which kept the poison from hitting his heart. The bite radius on him was huge and the vet told us that we likely have a large 6-8ft Habu living in the sugar cane field next to us. When they went in and harvested the cane they likely disturbed the snake making him far more aggressive then normal. Also the area was cleared so I'm sure my kitties when exploring the newly accessible stomping grounds. We decided to make them indoor only cats which brings me to my current problem.

They despise staying inside. Leo has gotten used to it but Arlo continues to act out. He pees on everything and attacks his brother and the dog for no actual reason that I can decipher. I cleaned out the spare room and put up a gate so only they had access. I got extra litter boxes(5 total) and we built them a big kitty condo thing. I keep the litter boxes spotless and change the litter twice a week. Nothing has helped. He is getting more and more aggressive and I am starting to worry about him hurting the children. I'm afraid to let him out though. The back to back vet bills topped more then $1,000 and frankly we can't afford to treat another bite. I know that this is very long and if you made it this far please know I appreciate it and desperately need advise on how to curb his aggression and peeing on everything. It's been nearly a month and my husband has pretty much ran out of patience with him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 09:56 PM
Cat Addict

Hi and welcome to the forum! I don't know what to tell you, but I'm sure others will help. Also, don't for get to post on the "Rules for New Members to sign off" part.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 12:36 AM
Senior Cat

Hello!

Have you tried setting up a cat pen outside or buying a roll of what's called 'Purrfect Fence'? This would allow him time outside without having to worry about snakes.

The dog may be wonderful prose, but only the cat is poetry. - French Proverb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 01:17 AM
Cool Cat

This might be a weird question, but should the snake be removed? I saw that you mentioned children; couldn't a snake that aggressive bite them too? Other than killing/removing the snake, I agree that maybe you should build some kind of outdoor enclosure for the cats (like a large cage with screen mesh for extra protection).
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 07:01 AM
Senior Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to KittieLover Send a message via Skype™ to KittieLover
If I was you, I'd go for a cat enclosure, OR
what MinkaMuffin said, Purrfect Fences.
They're pretty good!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 07:31 AM
Cool Cat

Hello and welcome to the forum!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thank you for the welcome and the advise everyone. Unfortunately Arlo passed away several days ago. He managed to escape the house again and was bitten again by a Habu. This bite was less serious but I think two bites so close was just too much for him. I got him to the vet and he got the anti-venom shot but he didn't respond this time. He seemed to be doing fine but later started acting funny. I called the vet but they told me that there wasn't anything more they could do but to bring him in. He had some sort of seizure on the way and died. We left our house to stay at a hotel for several days and our landlord called someone in to search for the snake. It wasn't found on our property so that was really all that could be done.

It's been a very emotional week for us. I feel so responsible and I wish I could have done more to protect him. Leo, his brother, is very upset. I think that he knows Arlo passed. My children are also having a hard time understanding everything that's happened.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 01:41 PM
Cool Cat

I am so sorry for your loss We have no control over what wild animals do and how their instincts make them act. I hope the snake can be found soon so that no one else is hurt by it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page