Help with new Kitten - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Help with new Kitten

This is going to sound weird, but, I found a kitten in my attic. I think it is about 2 weeks old. His eyes are open and teeth are coming in. I have one female cat (black) that is about 1 year old, but, she has been fixed. I know that this is not her kitten. As far as getting into the attic, there is a place where there is no soffit. The mother cat must have jumped onto the handrail on my back porch, then on top of my water heater enclosure to gain access to the open soffit, then the attic. As it turns out, the mother cat is one of the 2 feral cats that have been hanging around for some time. She is a gray cat, the other is a yellow cat. The yellow cat is a male for sure. I thought that they were both male cats. They were hanging around a lot when my black cat was in her first heat. Yes, I was trying to scare them off. This was right before I had my black cat fixed. Anyway I am very confused. I found this kitten crying in my attic. I thought that it would be best to get it out of there, because, it gets very hot up there. My first thought was to get it back to the mother, but, then I realized that it would just be another cat to go feral. So me and my wife decided to keep it from his mother. Now, the mother is looking for her. I feel sympathy for the lost mother. But, the kitten's welfare is more important.

My reason for this post is that the kitten is not taking to bottle feeding too well. We bought some KMR and a bottle from Walmart. We have been trying to get it to take to it by squeezing the bottle in it's mouth. But, he just won't start sucking on it's own. He wants to nurse on everything that is soft, like it's bedding, etc. But, he doesn't like the nipple on the bottle. We have been very gentle, yet persistent.

We would welcome the feral cats to hang around. But, I need to trap them and have them fixed. We fear, though, that if we let the mother have the kitten, that other varmints, such as racoons, owls, or possums may kill it. We live in the country. We could have left the kitten in the attic, but, the weather is just getting too hot for it up there.

Do you all have any thoughts as to what I should do about the feral cats? I really can't afford to feed them. I have another delima and that is that I was left with a rottweiler after divorcing my first wife. This was a dog that she wanted. But, I am stuck with him. I would rather have cats. This is also my new wife's preference. This dog will kill any cat that it can get it's mouth around. I think that I know the answer from this community. But, I feel like I have an obligation to him since I have raised him from a pup.

Talk about a complex newbie. Any ideas? I haven't even told you about my complex job. I think I need a psychiatrist.

Seriously, about the kitten, what should I do about bottling? Or, should I let it go to it's feral mother? I don't think this is the answer on this. He will drink the milk as long as we squirt it in his mouth, but reluctantly. He just will not suck on the nipple. Please advise. Help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 08:04 PM
Premier Cat

What makes you think the kitten is only about 2 weeks old? If he;s starting to get teeth, then it sounds like he's older than 2 weeks...usually kittens get their first teeth when they're 4 to 6 weeks. If that's his age, perhaps he could be fed soft food.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 08:09 PM
Cat

I can't offer any advice because I really don't know what the **** I'm talking about, but I hope everything turns out well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 10:02 PM
Cat Addict

Hi and welcome to the forum! I have no idea either, but I sure hope that it turns out well
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 12:01 AM
Kitten

Try buying a new kind of bottle. Go to Petsmart and get a different brand. And make sure the KMR is warmed, but not too hot. And feed him on his belly not on his back like a human baby. And be patient. Oh and try soft food mixed with warm KNR on a paper plate. That little one will be eating in no time!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 06:39 AM
Kitten

Hi all,
I think you should consult with a pet doctor. May be your cat has some problem.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks everyone. I'm sorry for not getting back sooner. The next day we found 2 more kittens in the attic. The first one was separated from the others. The mother was looking for them desperately. So we fixed them a nice bedding on our porch and have been feeding the mother, so she doesn't stray. That shouldn't be a problem. She has since moved them under the house. When the little ones begin eating, I will try to find them a home. As for the mother, I will have to trap here and bring her to the shelter. She is just too wild.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page