outside cat question - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

outside cat question

Hi, I live on the edge of some woods, and our cats are outside cats. What this means is that they have their cat flaps, and they go out and do their business, and we never need to worry about litter trays, which is a nice luxury.

But, my wife worries that having all the cat droppings up there in the woods is somehow not healthy, either in terms of groundwater contamination, or in terms of the risk of walking on it.

Does anyone know if this is truly something to worry about? In my view, animals have been doing their business in the woods forever. But it would be nice to hear an objective outside viewpoint.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 01:57 PM
Nan
Cool Cat

I'm no expert but I wouldn't think it would hurt anything. Any of the wildlife out there - squirrels, racoons, rabbits, foxes are all going to be pooping too.

But there is an advantage to having them use a litter box. You can easily see if they have loose bowels, which could mean either allergies or parasites. You will need to bring in specimens for the vet on occaision to check for parasites anyway. It's a lot easier to pick it out of the box than follow them around to catch them after the act.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 02:19 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito
Cats do a good job of hiding their poor. I don't think you are going to have to worry about stepping in it.

Unless there is a sandbox nearby!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 02:57 PM
Tom Cat

Cats bury their "stuff". That's why in the military, it is known as a "cat hole". I have about 40 of these guys, along with foxes, woodchucks, possums, ducks, etc. Not a problem.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page