Scared and Need Some Advice Please - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Scared and Need Some Advice Please

I am sorry for posting this here but I try to post in the correct areas and it says I do not have permission. This is a matter of extreme urgency as I may have to give away my cat today. So please let this post through because I really need help here.

I think this goes beyond play fighting and I really need some help as I may have to give a on of these cats away. 7 days ago I purchased a new kitten, he is roughly 8 weeks old. Around Christmas time I purchased my first kitten who is now 6 months old.

They seem to play rough but no puffy tails or hissing. Just now things got weird though. My older kitten keeps walking up behind the 8 week old baby and trying to wrap his entire mouth around the kittens neck (from the back of the neck). It looks like a lion trying to kill a gazelle with a choke hold. He never quite goes through with it as the young one turns on his back and flails his claws which causes the old kitten to move away.

Is this normal and safe cat behavior or is the old cat planning on murder? It looks very, very worrying but with no hissing I cannot be sure.

I really need some advice, I cannot leave the house right now out of fear that I will come back to a dead kitten. Is it playful/normal for a big cat to try and wrap his jaws around a smaller cats neck?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 02:48 PM
Cat Addict

It's probably a sign of dominance. If he doesn't actually hurt him, I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Did you do a proper introduction? How are they otherwise? Do they groom each other, play and eat together?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 05:35 PM
Senior Cat

Is the 6 month old fixed? If not, it could be that his hormones are starting to kick in and since the other cat is the only one around, he's practicing on him.

The dog may be wonderful prose, but only the cat is poetry. - French Proverb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 05:41 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito
Yea it sort of sounds like a a behavior my sister's male cat displays. He attempts to grab onto loose skin on the back of another cat's neck and get his hump on. Usually the other cats responds just like your wee kitten does. And then its game over.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 10:12 PM
Premier Cat

If the older cat were intent on murder, there would be hissing, growling or some other noise. I wouldn't worry about it. That sounds like how a mother cat would try to pick up her kittens, so perhaps there's a bit of parental instinct going on here. If you're really scared, then separate them when you're not home to supervise (more for your own peace of mind than anything else). I don't see any need to rehome the kitten.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 10:33 PM
Cat

What Susan just said, it sounds like parental instinct to me.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 02:24 PM
Senior Cat

As has been mentioned, if the volume level is low they are probably just playing. My guys spend a lot of time "trying to kill" each other and an equal amount of time sleeping on top of each other

BEFORE

DURING

AFTER

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page