Thinking of new kitty - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thinking of new kitty

Hello! I have a 2 yr old male DSH and I'm thinking about adopting a rescue kitten. I'm going to be posting this question in another forum but here goes. I am comfortable leaving my 2 yr old cat alone overnight or for a max of 36 hours. Anymore than that and he's had someone here. My application to adopt a kitten was approved by a local rescue organization and I met a kitten today I had my eye on. She's an adorable gray DLH/Maine Coon mix. I'm struggling with whether I should go through with the adoption or not though. My reason is that the weekend of June 11th (from around noon Saturday to around 6 Sunday) she would have to be left alone with my other cat since my roommate and I are both gone. At this rate I would have had the kitten for about 3 weeks and it would be about 12 weeks old. I was a really nervous kitty parent the first go around and I'm just concerned that it's too early to have her be alone in the house for 24+ hours. There's a slight chance I can get someone to check in on her but the chance is only slight. I was hoping some more experienced cat owners could give me some advice. I also have a long (week and half) vaca in July but my roommate will be here the whole time to care for the current cat and potential new kitten. I really fell for this little lady but should I perhaps wait until later in the summer when I'm not going anywhere? Silly question, but cats are still having kittens later in the summer, right? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 11:31 PM
Senior Cat

Hi Robin!

As early as 3 weeks of introduction, unless it is a special case, I would never leave my older cats with new kittens alone without supervision. After all the early stages of the introduction process, and when they're finally getting along with no major trouble, I leave the new one free to walk around the house while I'm there with them to keep a close look, but at nights or when I have to leave the house I always leave the new one in his/her "safe room". When I'm absolutely positive no harm will be done to the little one, they are ready to live all together in harmony

So, do you have a safe room where you can leave the new one (with her own litter box, food and water, of course)?

g'luck

Last edited by Lenkolas; 05-07-2011 at 11:33 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks, Lenkolas! I could and would either have my room as a safe room with all the essentials or a large bathroom upstairs. It's just such a hard decision to make because this little kitty grabbed my heart. But, I guess I should be reasonable and responsible and think that if I'm away from time to time early this summer I should just wait to rescue one when things calm down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 12:32 AM
Super Moderator

Introductions are usually smooth and quick with kittens, and after 3 weeks together, I think they could be left alone overnight.

If not, being left alone separately with food and water should be fine.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page