Hello from Northern California! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Smile Hello from Northern California!

Hello CatForum Community,

My name is Jasmine, my sister Natasha has blessed my life for the past eight years:

I am a horse training intern and look forward to learning new way to work with horses in a positive, non-restrictive manner. My hobbies include hiking, jogging, walking, animal training, and researching the most up to date pet care information.

Natasha is the sister I don't have. She is someone who supports me, defends me, protects me, loves me, and listens to me. Might sound odd, yes! But Natasha is my everything, and that will never change. Natasha was diagnosed with mast cell cancer after having a splenectomy (her spleen was removed) in September of 2010. She was given an approximate prognosis of two months. And here she is, still pawing and meowing:

I hope to be able to spend more time with her... I act like everything is okay, but I know it won't be so, eventually. I am grateful (and proud) for how far she has come.

Natasha's life didn't start out as fairy-tale as it is now. We came across each other by a pure stroke of luck in September of 2003, when I was a wee eleven year old girl. It just so happened that we had recently moved to our new town (about seven days prior to me adopting me sister) when I stumbled upon the local animal shelter, which is right across from the recycling center (our original destination).

I cry too much telling the event in great detail. Long story short, I told my mom that I was just going to take a look inside the shelter to see what it was like compared to the shelter down in the Bay Area (where I "came from"). When I walked inside, I walked right past Natasha. She is the one who got my attention. I heard a little "brrrew!" from behind one of the chain link cages.

And I saw my girl.
She was the most beautiful cat I had ever seen. She captured my attention to the fullest- even more than the mewing kittens.
The emerald eyes, the patterned coat, the feather-like fur texture.

I leaned down and placed my hand on the cage door. She placed her paw square in the middle of my hand. I knew I had to take her home and I was not leaving without her. Looking at her paperwork, she was on her last day at the shelter.

I did take her home, of course.

For two long years Natasha remained in hiding. It was very clear that she was at least semi-feral and had not had an easy start in life. So, I continued to love my life normally. And slowly, she came out of her shell.

You would never believe she is the same cat. She greets friendly guests and friends at the door. When it is time to go to the vet, I simply put a harness and leash on her, she is confident and large dogs do not intimidate her. She loves men and woman alike- we are together all hours that I am home. Natasha tolerates everything from being coddled by children to being dressed up by me.

Natasha will be turning thirteen this summer. I am proud to call her my cat. I truly wish everyone felt the same way about theirs. At her age with cancer silently ravaging through her body- Natasha gets what she wants. If she wants tuna, she gets tuna. If she wants catnip, she gets catnip. If she wants dog food, she gets dog food.

I will miss her when she passes away.

But I have always given her the best care she could possibly get (and the most attention). There is no need to change things, or "spend extra time" with her- as I always have, and always will.

Treat every day with your cats like their last.
Tragedies happen, life happens.
Take it a step at a time, and enjoy what you've got.

-Jasmine & Natasha

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 07:05 PM
Cat Addict

Hi and welcome to the forum! That was a nice story about Natasha. She is blessed to have you.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thank you for the welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 10:29 PM
Premier Cat

Hi and welcome! What a lovely story...I enjoyed reading it. Natasha is beautiful and you were both lucky to find each other.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 11:40 PM
Kitten

What beautiful eyes!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
Hi and welcome! What a lovely story...I enjoyed reading it. Natasha is beautiful and you were both lucky to find each other.
I feel so lucky to have met my baby.
Thank you for the welcome! I am happy to be here.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 03:46 AM
Senior Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to KittieLover Send a message via Skype™ to KittieLover
Welcome, Earth Cat!
That was a beautiful story about Natasha!
You were meant for each-other
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 03:51 AM
Kitten

What a lovely story!! She is blessed to have you and you to her!!! welcome!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Thank you KittyLover and Downy!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 11:48 AM
Premier Cat

I see what you mean about Natasha -- look at those eyes. What a stunning, beautiful girl. It sounds like both your lives changed a lot on that day you went to the shelter.

Holly and Murphy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page