Sandy Mood Change? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Sandy Mood Change?

Hey Everyone!

So I'm hoping someone can help me understand my current situation. We let our cats, Sandy and Duke, outside. The other night my parents called Sandy in and when she came in she went crazy on Duke. My parents said they started fighting and not the nice kind. Then she sprayed everywhere. They both are spayed/neutered. It is night 2 and she still freaks out whenever she sees Duke. Poor Duke just seems confused and just growls/hisses back. She seems really depressed and seems to hide under the table. I picked her up and she seems to be okay to the humans of the family. Unfortunately she sprayed all over me. -_- Nothing a shower can't fix.

There's been a male cat lingering in our backyard so my boyfriend thinks she was "mated". I personally thought it was impossible seeing as she could have ran away from this male cat. Do cats still mate even if they've been fixed? I'm hoping its just a phase and she'll be okay in a few days but its heartbreaking to see her hate Duke so much. She cleaned him, slept with him, played etc. and now its like she's evil. Any advice or suggestions would be great.

Last edited by Xanti; 05-13-2011 at 01:45 PM. Reason: watch the language please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 11:20 PM
Kitten

She is very upset about the new cat in her territory. It doesn't have to do with mating, but rather territory. This new cat is a threat to her and could really injure her since she is declawed. I would do something to remove this new cat or at least have him neutered immediately. Sounds to me like she is seriously stressed.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 01:25 AM
Kitten

I agree. It sounds like a territorial thing, especially because of the spraying. That tends to be a territory marker for sure. I'm so sorry you're going through this. It's terrible to see your babies so upset.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 03:47 AM
Premier Cat

Wait, where does it say she is declawed? Is she declawed?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 05:12 AM
Cat Addict

I don't think OP said Sandy was declawed. Either way good luck, sounds territorial.

Becky, the proud momma of:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

She is declawed as well as Duke. Duke and Sandy have been together for 6 years and have only ever play fought. This other cat that is hanging around the backyard isn't our cat. I don't know if its just a stray or if its someone else's cat. We have a lot of neighbors that let their cats out but they don't stick around their houses like ours do.

Do you think they'll eventually be okay with each other like before? I really want them to start getting along again.

We did have a breakthrough this morning. Sandy laid on my lap and when Duke jumped up she sniffed him and seemed okay with him but then about 5 minutes later she hissed and ran off. Holy mood swings.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

This is a case of re-directed aggression. Google "redirected aggression cat" or "misdirected aggression cat" and you'll find a ton of articles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 04:17 PM
Premier Cat

From what I understand it's never a good idea to let a declawed cat outside. She has absolutely no chance in defending herself against anything out there.

That would absolutely explain why she's freaking out.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 04:35 PM
Kitten

I would keep them inside. They will be safe that way and her aggression toward Duke should eventually stop unless they are still seeing this other cat out the window. She will probably start to spray in your house if this is allowed to continue. Maybe a super soaker gun or a Scarecrow motion-activated sprinkler would convince the other cat to stay away. Either of those would be cheaper than the vet bill if they get attacked.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks everyone. I googled "redirected aggression" and it seems like exactly what is going on in my house. We usually let them outside as they please and like I said, they don't go far. We usually pay close attention to them and in the 11 years of having Sandy, we've never had this problem. But our plan is to keep them inside unless someone else is outside with them.

Luckily, I'm seeing some progress in the way she's treating Duke so hopefully they'll be friends again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page