Howdy from Nebo, NC - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Howdy from Nebo, NC

I have just started on this site due to the loss of my 12 1/2 year old furry baby, and am getting a new kitten (hopefully soon) and wish to introduce it to the resident 2 year old alpha in a gentle manner. Alpha is fairly new to our house, but had to be separated from Bubastis (gone to kitty heaven now) because she would attack Bubastis on sight. We do not want any more discord in the house, which is one of the reasons new cat will be kitten, as I've heard they are easier to integrate into the home. Will be reading posts avidly for hints/tips.

Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 10:29 PM
Cat Addict

Hi and welcome to the forum!Sorry to hear about your cat. Looking forward to pictures.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 12:33 AM
Premier Cat

Hi and welcome to the Forum! I'm sorry to hear about Bubastis. If you take things slowly with the new kitten, hopefully things will be ok. Kittens typically are much easier to introduce, since they're not yet territorial. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 12:33 AM
Cool Cat

Welcome to cat forum!

Do you already have a kitten picked out? I ask because my flatmate's parents will be trying to find homes for some kittens that a feral cat brought to them in a couple of weeks. They live in Newberry, SC (about 2 1/2 hours away from you); PM me if you are interested in more details.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

New kitten

Thank you for the offer, but one of my coworkers has 2 female cats and they both littered one day apart, so she has TEN kittens to place. I have already picked one out and should (hopefully) be picking her up on Sunday. She tried to get us to take another, and they are all adorable (what kitten isn't?), but we already have one adult cat at home and do not want to overwhelm her.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 04:31 PM
Senior Cat

getting two in some ways might be easier on the cat you already have, kittens are going to want to play(and play and play) getting a pair of litter-mates that are used to each other(and wear each other out) might be better than a solo kitten costantly bothering the adult cat.. It will allow the older cat take part if it chooses or just watch the fun from the sidelines..

yeti cat: two toes short of the record books
eons ago there must had been a creature with a roar
like a vacuum cleaner, it most likely ate cats.
smokey,yeti, pansy, violet, ember and brullie
jolene, tammi and emma the ghost kitties in the house
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 05:18 PM
Cool Cat

That's okay; just thought I would ask I agree with tghsmith about two kittens being easier than one most of the time (as long as you can afford it of course). Pumpkin was a wild thing as a kitten, and I never had any peace, especially at night, until I adopted another kitten for her a few months later. If you can't get two, that is understandable though. The most common recommendation that you will probably find here at CF regarding kittens is to not take the kittens away from the mom until they are 12 weeks old (8 weeks at the absolute earliest). Waiting till 12 weeks will give you a much more socialized, confident and better behaved cat without having to "train" it yourself. I found this out the hard way since I adopted Pumpkin from a shelter at 6 weeks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page