The loss of a loving, furry friend - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

The loss of a loving, furry friend

Hello fellow cat lovers,

While I was in Austia on vacation, my wife and I got an email from our catsitter that my 12 1/2-year old baby, Bubastis, had died. She will be sorely missed. Although my wife loved Bubastis as much as I did, she was, in all respects, my cat. When I would return home, she would greet me at the door. If I came home and found Bubastis lying on the couch with my wife, I would lie on the floor, and Bubastis would almost immediately get up and come over and join me. She would sleep either snugged up against me at night or curl up on me to sleep.

I am getting a new kitten shortly, but I have to keep reminding myself that this is a new personality and not to expect the same experience or devotion. I picked out a kitten that does NOT look like my baby to make that distinction more clearly. I'll drop a line now and then in the future to update on progress.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 12:22 AM
Premier Cat

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. It must have been especially hard given you were away at the time. The new kitten can never replace Bubastis, but I hope he or she helps to make you smile.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 12:33 AM
Cat

I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my night snuggler last December. It is still hard at bedtime not to have him curl up beside me. Cats are individuals and a kitten can't replace what you had, but will bring a new relationship into your life. Best of luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 02:24 AM
Kitten

So sorry about your loss. Good luck with a new kitty.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 11:14 AM
Cool Cat

Im so sorry Rdeb. Sounds like the two of you had beautiful companionship full of love and friendship.

Best to you. And take the new kittie on its own terms and different personality.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 08:30 PM
Cat

So sorry for your loss. New Kitty will never replace Bubastis (interesting name) but will fill a whole new place in your heart. Cats are clever that way!

"I love cats because I enjoy my home and, little by little, they become its visible soul."--Jean Cocteau
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 09:46 PM
Cat Addict

Hi and welcome to the forum! So sorry for your lost of your cat. I hope this one will make you smile.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 10:38 PM
Jr. Cat

Sorry for your loss, it is never easy to lose a much loved pet; I personally gather strength from the knowledge that I gave them love and care, we only have them on borrowed time and the best we can do is to give them care and love. I am sure Bubastis has led a very happy life. I bet you are now about to embark on a new adventure with your new kitten, would be great to see photos of him/her and if you feel up to it, some photos of Bubastis would be great. RIP Bubastis.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Loss of old, finding new

I thank you all for your condolences. It was hard losing Bubastis, especially while we were out of the country. I realize that each kitty has its own personality and that I have to discover the new kitty's and not try to remake it into another Bubastis. I even picked a kitten that does not look like Bubastis in order to make it easier to take her on her own terms. I should be getting her this weekend, and will have to slowly introduce her to our other cat, who is about 3 years old and very territorial. We'll be taking it slow, and have already looked up guidance with the ASPCA to ensure the best possible outcome.

I named Bubastis, mistakenly as it turned out, for the Egyptian cat goddess. I learned later that the name should have been Bast. Bubastis was the city dedicated to the goddess. (For those of you who are actually interested!) I am thinking of continuing the Egyptian theme, but cannot decide if I want to go with Cleopatra or another name. I still have a little bit of time to decide. As soon as I learn just how to do it, I will try to get my Bubastis picture up as my avatar and will upload Bubastis and new kitty pics.

Again, thank you all for your support. I have found that cat people are more sensitive than many others realize due to the actions/personalities of our furry kids.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 02:49 AM
Kitten

I'm so sorry for your loss. I remember three years ago I lost my first cat and it was absolutely crushing, and is probably the only time I remember crying my heart out in the past 5 or more years. I hope the best for you and your new kitty!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page