Hi. I only have one truly amazing cat. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Hi. I only have one truly amazing cat.

I have one formerly male rescue cat named Victor. He is a silver tabby who was found in a back alley and ended up in my heart when he was left behind by the a family who moved out of state and never came back for him. He has lots of energy and a quirky personality. I wish my dad would let me get him a playmate, but every time I ask the answer is still no.
I have noticed that there is a great shortage of interactive toys for CATS. Everyone seems to focus on dogs. I think indoor cats get fat and lazy because they are bored. We need to invent some new toys for cats that will keep them mentally stimulated and sharpen their problem-solving abilities.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 11:41 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome!

There are toys and ways to keep inside cats happy, active and playful. They normally don't get fat unless they're overfed. You see a fat cat, it usually means irresponsible owner, or an owner who doesn't know any better (and probably free-feeds dry food).

But you are right about the attention paid to dogs. Petco and Petsmart have aisles and aisles for dogs, usually just one or two for cats. Annoying.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

I have found 1 interactive food dish for cats online. There are several for dogs, but its possible that cats could use those just as well since uncovering the food doesn't require much weight or strength. I expect there are other dog toys that cats could also enjoy. It just aggravates me that it appears no company is making a real effort to research things Cats can do to entertain themselves when their Humans are at work. Outdoor cats have constant mental stimulation and physical exertion. A way needs to be found to give indoor cats an equally varied life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 02:51 AM
Super Moderator

Uncovering food? I could put my girls' food in a locked box under the house, and they'd find it. I'm not sure why they need an interactive food dish. I'm trying to get my girls NOT to play with their food and water dishes.

Cats sleep about 20 hours a day. I'm pretty sure I know what they're doing while I'm at work.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 03:12 AM
Senior Cat

my indoor kitties rarely play with each other, I use wand or fishing pole style toys, but you have to spend the time to play with them. other than that, they have a fantastic varied life:

1) get up and explore the house, 2) wake mom up for breakfast, 3)run around a bit, scratch on the posts, try to get mom to open the garage door 4)sit in the office window and watch birds 5) sleep on the office floor 6) pretend we haven't had breakfast and meow pitifully for more food 7) sleep in a sunny spot in the living room follow mom or dad to the kitchen 9) sit under the dining room table, 10) go see what mom's doing upstairs and try to get her to rub bellies instead 11) sleep in the bedroom window 12) its a surprise 13) start crying for dinner 14) eat dinner 15) nap 16) play with mom / dad 17) nap 1 follow mom upstairs and try to convince her to come play some more 19) back down to bug dad 20) upstairs to sleep with mom/dad
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 02:47 PM
Kitten

I found this tweeting bird thing on a stick at walmart, it annoys the heck out of my fiance but it drives my cat wild. My cat hears the chirping and will wake up from a nap to come investigate and then start playing with it. I actually bought my cat a plush squeaky dog toy, and he LOVES it. So don't limit yourself to just cat toys.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

Cat owners just don't spend the kind of money that dog owners do...a dog gets a new toy and destroys it in minutes (hours or a few days), so the next time the owner is in a pet store (s)he buys new one...looking for the holy grail....the indestructible dog toy. A cat gets a new toy, plays with it for 5 minutes (maybe) and then it lays in a corner collecting dust and hair. The next time the cat owner is in the pet store they look at the toys and say "nah, why bother, he doesn't play with the last 3 toys I bought him". I own a pet supply store...the cat toys are right near the register, I hear that comment all the time.

The cat toys in my house are getting a great workout now that I have a dog...

That said...if you see a hole in the market...go for it...

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page