Hi all- new here with a stray cat and need some help - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Hi all- new here with a stray cat and need some help

Hi everyone

I'm new here and looking for insight with a stray (doesn't appear to be feral) cat that I've been feeding for a few weeks now.

This cat showed up at my apartment complex about a month ago, perhaps a little more, and after seeing it digging in our dumpster a lot, I began to call to it, and leave food. At first it wouldn't approach me, but within just a few days, it came to know me and come right over when I would call for it and give it the wet food.

I've been feeding it for a few weeks now, and it's to the point where I can just whistle or make kissy noises, and it runs right out of hiding in the tall grass and meows at me, rubbing against my legs and wanting to be pet.

Yesterday though, we had a bit of a set back. I don't even know what happened but I had fed it some breakfast, behavior as usual. I went out a half hour later to pick up the bowl, and it was meowing at me like usual. I had stopped and was just talking to it, and it jumped up, grabbed my leg and bit me, pretty hard.

I was at the ER most of yesterday getting the six rabies shots and a tetanus, and the whole ordeal was pretty sucky

I am a little mad at the cat LOL, but I still want her to be safe. I haven't been out to feed her since yesterday morning, I'm honestly a little scared of her right now.

I left a message with animal control to come trap her, but I haven't heard back. I'm just not sure what to do about her, I'm nervous to have her hanging out in our parking lot with what happened yesterday.

The only thing I can think that may have caused it, is that I brought her inside my apartment for about an hour the night before, because it was raining and I felt bad for her. She followed me right into my apartment building, and then I carried her into my apartment. I gave her a bath and tried to keep her in my bathroom (which is pretty tiny) because I have two dogs and she was visibly very stressed and actually bit my foot (not breaking the skin like the bad bite yesterday) so I put her back outside with a bowl of food, under my car. Do you think this could have made her quite angry with me?

Anyways, here she is, she's quite pretty as you can see.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 03:54 PM
Kitten

I think being carried into and then trapped in a strange place full of dog smells, and ESPECIALLY being bathed, was probably pretty terrifying for her. I doubt that she's mad at you, but she could easily have been scared that you were going to pick her up again and was defending herself. Give her time, don't approach her at all (just food and then leave) and work on regaining her trust -- she's a very pretty girl! I hope it works out.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 12:25 PM
Cat Addict

I keep saying how glad I am we don't have rabies to worry about. I think her behaviour was well within the bounds of normal and I don't see it as something you can't work through with time and patience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 12:46 PM
Senior Cat

You should get her to the vet....if she is a she and isnt fixed, she could be pregnant. I had a hormonal pregnant stray and she was moody to say the least. She would bite with no warning... if you are going to feed her, please make sure he/she gets fixed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Help control the pet population, have your pets spayed or neutered" - Bob Barker
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 04:47 PM
Cat Addict

Good point about the hormones - although I have tended to find them even moodier when in season than when pregnant.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 02:02 AM
Premier Cat

Oh my gosh, poor kitty. You can tell from the photo she is literally starving to death. I hope you keep feeding her.

You pushed her way too fast. This cat has had to fend for herself and people can be very mean to abandoned cats. It take time to gain their trust. Dont be mad at her. You were going against her nature.

If she is semi feral you could get answers in the feral section of cat forum. She can come around socially. Could you get her to a vet to see if she is spayed? and get her a wellness check up? use a hav a heart trap to trap her and bring her to the vet.

Dont contact animal control because they will trap her and then kill her. Animal control kills ALL semi feral or feral cats. Domestic cats they usually only keep 3-5 days before killing them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page