Greetings from MD - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Greetings from MD

A rather techno challenged Bernie here, thinking I deserve a Blue Ribbon for getting this far.
I am, and have been, a professional dog groomer for over 30 years, and own Siberian Huskies, 3.5 cats, and a rabbit.
I managed a boarding kennel for 20 years, before deciding to become a home-based groomer.

I've owned dogs for 40 years and pretty much have them figured out.
I've owned cats for 40 years and some days I swear I don't know the first thing about them, lol!

So I'm off in search of the "proper forum" to post my question, it's nice to be here, and if you never hear from me again, well...please send out a search party!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 07:51 PM
Tom Cat

Send a message via MSN to LaurulFeatherCat
You obviously are very learned in cats if you are willing to admit your really have no idea what makes them tick. Such honesty is refreshing to hear in a forum on cats.

I have been studying, raising, loving and living with cats since I was three years old. I am now 62 and realize cats have only three rules when it comes to interacting with humans:

1. They remember being worshiped as Gods in Egypt.
2. They accept being worshiped as Gods and expect it to continue forever.
3. They will graciously accept food in lieu of being worshiped; but it must be GOOD and TASTY food or the deal is off.

How much clearer can a species communicate with humans?

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

So that is the holy grail?
Sure would have been nice to know that about 30 cats (or 30 years) ago!

And since you mention it, food, and the blossoming (some might even say explosively blossoming) feral now residing in my home, is the subject of my concern. Some might even call it an out and out panic?

I guess I pop on over to the food forum to bang my head on their wall, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 05:56 AM
Tom Cat

Send a message via MSN to LaurulFeatherCat
Certainly food is a cat's great motivator. Afterall, it was the availability of food that lured wild cats into the early settlements and led to them becoming domestics animals. Of course much later, they figured out our hands could act as dry tongues and 'pet' them. Our fingers could scratch ears and gently rub tummys and, later, open canned food.

And there we are back at food again.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 09:19 AM
Kitten

Independent boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurulFeatherCat View Post
Certainly food is a cat's great motivator. Afterall, it was the availability of food that lured wild cats into the early settlements and led to them becoming domestics animals. Of course much later, they figured out our hands could act as dry tongues and 'pet' them. Our fingers could scratch ears and gently rub tummys and, later, open canned food.

And there we are back at food again.
My boy doesn't care about food, cat or human. He's either interested or not. I kind of like that about him.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Fat Cat Blues.

Sigh. For some reason I don't seem to be able to post this in the proper forum, so I hope I don't get the boot. It would seems I don't have posting privileges sufficient, so I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, drat!

Posting here in the hopes some great mind out there has some advice.

I live in what can best be described as a cottage. Very small.

I have one cat, almost 25 yrs old.
I have two, brother and sister, born feral, adopted at 12 weeks (out of the wild), and now 3 years old.

Everything was going along just swell. Until. DannyLion moved in.
Danny was approx 10-11 months old when he showed up in March.
After a month of feeding him and spending "talk time" in his general vicinity, he was ready to come in from the wild.
He was a fit and handsome fellow, all muscle, poster child for raw diet, lol!

I had him tested, neutered, and vac'd. This was in May and he weighed no more than 11 pounds. A good weight for his frame.

Then he began to eat. And he is still eating. In fact he has not stopped eating. He's prolly eating right now.

I was...feeding Blue Wilderness Adult to the rest. Have to keep a little meat on the 25 yr old, and the two 3 yr olds were doing well on it.
There is no way to segregate cats in my house, short of putting one outside.
The one tiny enclosed porch is reserved for the 25 yr old at night to keep her safe from the antics of the younger ones.

Danny now weighs 14.5, and closing in on 15, entirely toooo much.
I started all the cats on Blue's Weight Control, but naturally I am concerned about the cats that do not need to lose weight, losing it.

I can feed the old cat seperately when she "goes to bed" at night, but am at a loss for the others.
It seems that Danny is compensating for the "diet" food, by eating twice as much, and the thought of a diabetes diagnosis is terrifying me.
Any tips? Any tips at all?

I'm not in a position to feed raw, and the cats do get some canned food 2X a day, which no matter the brand, they turn their noses up at.
Trust me, I've tried them all. The healthier the brand, the more disdain they have.
5000 toys around the house as well, and they do play with them.

So thanks in advance for any tips, maybe it'll be one I haven't tried?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 12:30 PM
Premier Cat

Are you free feeding (just leaving food out all day)? If so, I'd move to scheduled feedings and monitor/reduce the amount Danny is fed. Perhaps feed him in the enclosed porch, so he doesn't try and sneak food from the other cats' bowls. He can only eat what you give him. As an aside, have you spoken to your vet about his insatiable appetite, to make sure there isn't a medical cause?

Finally, I laughed when you said you had 3.5 cats...how does that work?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Well, the .5 kitty is my nearly 25 yr old. She's 1/2 the cat she was in her prime. In more ways than one. But I love her anyway.
As a sidenote, I clipped my Corgi short for the Summer several weeks back, then had her in to the vet for a Rabies update. All the techs oohing and ahhing over the new darling puppy. Uh...girls, this is "Annie", 13 yrs old, lol! Pets hang around here for a lonnng time.

Anyway, back on topic.
Danny was fully vetted prior to neuter, w/ the exception of something major like a blood panel. That was in mid-May.
He's also been wormed, forgot to mention that.
I put a call into the vet on Friday, but she's on vacation for the next 10 days.

My problem with "meals", as opposed to free feeding, is the 3 yr old brother feral, runs on the thinnish side, (he's a flame point something-er-other, but clearly not purebred) and is a bolter-n-barfer unless he can just nibble throughout the day. No barfing problems what-so-ever with free feed.

I keep thinking of getting a milkcrate or something, and cutting a hole in it that only proper size cats can squeeze through. Then turn the crate upside down over the food bowl, lol!
Sigh. I suppose that's not humane, but desperate times call for desperate measures. [wink]

I think Danny's gained another 1/4 pound just since I started typing this.
I hope my vet doesn't start charging by the pound. Danny'll bankrupt me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page