Hello - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Hello

Hello all. I live in Canada and have two kitties; one elderly ( 13), and one very young ( just 2). Our young cat was aquired accidently to be very literal. He ran out onto a four lane highway and we were the ones, out of all that traffic, to hit him with our car. We picked him up ( he was trying to crawl away) and then tried to get a vet to help. We could get no help; we live in a Northern area of Canada, and the 2 vets in town do not respond to emergencies ( even for their own clients). Yes, that really stinks. We ended up driving 2 hours to the next village where the vet there agreed to see the kitten. The kitten had a broken pelvis. Many vet bills later, and weeks of sleeping in a separate room with the kitten, and hand feeding him every 3 to 4 hours, and transporting him to and from the litter, including gently cleaning his little bum; he recovered; and we had another cat in the family. This was about 1 1/2 years ago.

I am joining this forum because I need input from people who care about cats, in relation to this kitten's recent health issues. In the past two weeks, my husband and I have made that two hour drive to see that vet 5 times. I'm exhausted, and could really use some sensible perspective and thoughts from others. I know very few people who are much interested in my worries and concerns regarding my cats; they kindly say sympathetic things, but are clearly not wanting a discussion. So this is my intro. Hope to talk to you all soon.
Most sincerely. Mia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

3rd post; then hoping for help over at the heath forum

I am trying to understand the 3 post rules before being able to access other forums. I do get to post with a free membership don't I? I'm sorry. I'm anxious to tell my story and get some advice.

My 2 year old male kitten is having symptoms that are distressing. 5 vet visits in the last 2 weeks. He seems fine each time we visit the vet; but there are episodes regularly of exhibiting abdominal pain or cramping, and difficulty with having a bm. Crying, vomiting in the litter box or while half in and out of it; growling and lying on his side in an obvious display of abdomin pain or cramps. And so on. Two times since March; we also had vet visits for constipation.

Tests so far were for pancreatitis; and a urinalysis ( both negative).

He has lactulose; cysapride; laxatone; and an antibiotic/anti-inflammatory in case that's the issue. I don't feel I'm getting enough help through the vet though. I need someone who can spend some time helping me figure this out; the vet visits are so limited in time. I live in a remote location in Northern Canada; I don't have many options as far as vets go. I have so many concerns and questions and worries, and I'm afraid to do things that may hurt my kitty.

I'm anxious to be able to start asking questions and getting some input.
So here is my 3rd post.
I hope that means I'll be able to go over to the health forum?
Sincerely,
Mia
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 09:57 AM
Jr. Cat

Have they done an ultrasound and tested the kidney and liver function?

I would ask your vet (or another vet) to test the kidney, liver, and either do an ultrasound or radiographs to check for inflammation, blockages, and tumors. I would also ask the vet to run a full blood chemistry panel regardless of his young age. Are his gums pink (some cats have black splashes on their gums, find a pink section- there shouldn't be white gums)? Are his eyes white or are they yellow? When you press on his gums, how long does it take for the color to return (in seconds)?

When he's having an episode, mark the date, the time, and the length of time on a calendar. Keep a calendar, mark his litter box uses, his eating schedule (don't free-feed him, put him on a schedule and get his body regulated), note on the calendar when he vomits and how much and what color, note on the calendar what his bowel movements look like. Take all of this information to your vet, and ask if the vet thinks you need to go to an internist.

If it were my cat, I'd have a full blood chemistry done, it would check the liver and kidney function. Then I'd have xrays or ultrasound done and see an internist. Also I'd check him for FIP and other coronavirus indications (more bloodwork) since the coronavirus do affect the abdomen. I hope that he feels better soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page