Greetings from a relatively new human to a cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Greetings from a relatively new human to a cat

My confession:

For many years, I thought of cats as kind of "background animals." I didn't have a cat as a kid; and as a teenager living on a farm, cats were the solution to a problem (mice and rats).

Fast forward a few decades, to when I met my partner, and her cat. Took me a while to realize that cats play by their own set of rules, at least compared to dogs. Her cat and I slowly came to know each other, and respect and love each other. Well, I can only assume that she loves me - who am I to say for certain?

My only regret in all of this? That I didn't come to appreciate cats that much sooner.

Thanks for listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

One cat, then two

When my partner and I moved in together, we received a bonus with the house we purchased: another cat. We had met Stripey before, and he took a shine to us both. The seller of the house couldn't take all of his cats with him to another province, so he left one behind.

It hasn't been smooth sailing: My partner's cat "M" and Stripey didn't exactly take a liking to each other. We spent almost a year of keeping them separated, watergun interventions, and the like. In the end, we left them to their own devices, which is probably what we should have done in the first place. M had to get stitches once, as Stripey didn't realize his own strength. Slowly, they came to respect each other, and give each other space. There haven't been any fights, and only the occasional warning growl from M lets us know that they aren't best friends. At least, not yet.

So, that's the basic story of two cats. Never thought of myself as a cat person a few years ago, but these two had the power to change my outlook.

Thanks for reading.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 04:53 AM
Cat Addict

Hi Stripey

I am new in this forum, also a new cat owner. Actually, I have never imagine myself ever keeping a cat. I am a dog person, though I don't own 1, but me and my husband have kept discuses for many years and many tanks of them. My initial concern about keeping a cat at home was whether these cats will affect our fish keeping hobby, but looks like everything turned out well. My kitty isn't at all interested in our fishes.

My interest in cats started only approx 2yrs ago, when I started feeding the strays, that includes my current kitty. I can't say I have a passion for cats like most I know do, but they sure make our lives different. But I must admit, till now, rearing cat is alot more challenging than fish keeping because cats will ask for attention, they scratch, bite, but they respond affectionately too. Cats do make me rather confused, I must say. One moment, they are affectionate, next moment they bite/scratch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 01:37 PM
Kitten

I never saw myself as a cat person either until I found my two cats last year. They were only three weeks old, had respiratory infections, and eye infections. My original intention was to bottle feed them and then adopt them to a friend, however I fell in love and kept them.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 01:46 PM
Cool Cat

stripey, you are not alone in your experience.
i am a COMPLETE cat convert!

never had cats OR dogs growing up. didn't know a thing about caring for them or what they were like or ANYTHING.

then one day my husband took in a stray - much to my dismay and against my "better" judgment. well, talk about turning my world upside down! i've mentioned this all before in earlier threads, but within a few weeks, i went from saying "the cat has to stay in the garage", to having her sleep on my chest in bed every night!!! i fell HARD in love with her. we only had her a few months, though. she was diagnosed with cancer on her first trip to the vet and we had to let her go. we were both so heartbroken and couldn't face going home to an empty house even one more night, that we went to the shelter the very next day and adopted Angel who needed us just as much as we needed her.

she is my whole world now. i don't even care that i might never travel again. i don't care that she's a lot of responsibility. i love that she's independent, but also unbelievably lovable and affectionate. i love everything about her. now we're putting an addition on our house so we can adopt MORE kitties and foster some as well!!! and like you, my only regret and shock is that i went 44 years without knowing the love of cats. i'm going to spend the rest of my life now making up for lost time.

i'm so happy for you. welcome to the club!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page