Hello - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

New member... foster w/ question

Hello all, new to this site and would like your thoughts. I foster kittens and recently have become quite attached to a beautiful little girl we have had for seven weeks. She came from a litter of five, all of whom we lost within the first two weeks other than her. My hubby has been talking about wanting to keep her for several weeks which is normal for him but I very recently seriously considered myself. The problem is that the shelter we foster for feels strongly about adopters having two cats and my understanding is that it might be a requirement for some off site adoption locations. I mentioned keeping her and got "you would adopt two right?" as the response. My answer is no. I haven't directly asked again and am not sure I will as I know that no matter what the answer, I'll will be given all the reasons why we should get two and in the end, likely feel guilty about not getting two.

So.. the question is, what's worse for the kitten..... being re-homed, in a sense as this is the home she has known and has become quite comfortable in (she' about 3- 3 1/2 months old and has been here for about seven weeks) or remaining and being a single cat with dogs as siblings.

She is somewhat aloof and though lovable.. not as clingy as some of our past kittens which makes me feel better about her going but on the other hand... she's like that with other cats too (I noticed w/ her siblings in the initial week or so as well and they were only 4-5 weeks old) which also makes me feel better about considering only one.

I've researched and found a lot of reason why adopting two is good but not so much about if it's actually bad to only have one. I've had two cats prior, raised together as kittens until the one passed at age 11 and the other lived to age 20. They really didn't like each other and at some points in life, I believe they hated each other... used to draw blood!!! so maybe I'm just not seeing this clearly. All input would be greatly appreciated. I feel guilty for letting her go and then guilty for wanting to keep her and am searching for more information to consider.

Thanks in advance for your input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Hello

Helloooo... just introducing myself. I am a cat foster and have three dogs. Lost our 20 year old cat Ashely just over a year ago and our 11 year old about 9 years prior. Love our dogs but I remember with each foster the Purr and miss it terribly
I look forward to learning more from you all to benefit our fosters.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Hello

I think I posted in the wrong area.... either way wanted to introduce myself. I'm a cat foster and owner of three dogs. Our cats passed away about 9 years ago and one year ago (Chaz and Ashley) with the most recent passing just over a year ago at the ripe ol age of 20. Love the pups but miss the purr. Looking forward to learning from all of you to benefit our future fosters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page