Angry Siamese - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Unhappy Angry Siamese

Hi, I came on hear to hopefully read all the good advice from others as well as share my own issues. My 1 yr old Siamese (not spayed) was curled on my lap when my boyfriend started pounding on the door to come home. She ran to the door since she is always very protective and when he came in he was being loud and jumping thinking it was funny that her fur puffed up. Within seconds she attacked like nothing I've ever seen before. I separated her for the night but she's still acting really strange and looking for him. He's lived with me since I got her so now I'm scared she won't like him anymore. I've read cats can be aggressive if not spayed so I'm calling the vet to get her in. Does anyone know if getting her spayed will make her calmer??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 07:36 PM
Kitten

Your boyfriend freaked her out, she responded by protecting her territory because she is stressed out. Banishing her is insult to injury. I recommend 2 things: 1. get yourself at least one Feliway diffuser and use it as directed. This will allow her to relax. 2. Explain to your boyfriend that his behaviour did not take into account the feelings of everyone in the house, and now that he knows it is unacceptable, to do so again will be to abuse the trust of those who live there. She is a siamese, not a dog.

Spaying, while certainly beneficial for many reasons, is not a form of behaviour control.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 07:46 PM
Cat

Along with him acting calmer around her, if you can have him drop treats around her occasionally it should help her warm up. I agree that he scared the bejeezus out of her, and she might continue acting aggressive around him now that she associates him with being scary if he doesn't work on being calm...

Nom de bloom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 08:44 PM
Cat

Yes....he really upset her and has freaked her out.

I think she wil learn to tolerate him again if he makes sure to give her time and space to get over what happened.

He needs education about respecting the feelings of animals.

What a brave little girl she is!!! I love that siamese feistiness.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Yes, he feels horrible not knowing that she would react that way. Now I am very worried because I think a mixture of her going into heat and then being scared has put her in a very weird mood. She's been in my enclosed porch and I keep her out there when he's home now until she warms up to him again but my concern is her eyes have become dilated and haven't seemed to get smaller even during the say. I've read that can be a sign of going into heat. She is still eating and drinking fine and she chases the laser pointer so I know her sight is ok. How long till she calms down around us? She is like a child to me and I'm so worried for her. I cant get her into the vet until next Thurs. Has anyone heard of anything like this and will she go back to her normal loving self?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

angry siamese

Quote:
Originally Posted by 008cats View Post
Your boyfriend freaked her out, she responded by protecting her territory because she is stressed out. Banishing her is insult to injury. I recommend 2 things: 1. get yourself at least one Feliway diffuser and use it as directed. This will allow her to relax. 2. Explain to your boyfriend that his behaviour did not take into account the feelings of everyone in the house, and now that he knows it is unacceptable, to do so again will be to abuse the trust of those who live there. She is a siamese, not a dog.

Spaying, while certainly beneficial for many reasons, is not a form of behaviour control.

Yes I felt horrible seperating her but she was in attack mode and started acting like she wanted to attack my son and I. I did buy a plug in difuser and some calming chews. The chews help and I am trying the plug in tonight. I just hope she goes back to herself and loves us again. We usually play with her and she chases playfully but this time with her going into heat I think it just was too much. That won't happen again I just want her to trust us.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

RE: angry siamese

Hi All, my cat is still not her normal self. I have put her in a seperate room..She still eats and drinks and uses her litterbox but will try to attack all of us if we go in there or let her out. I've bought treats, tried to pet her and now i bought the calming collar, so we'll see if that helps. She is scheduled to get spayed Thurs. but I worry that even after that she will still try to attack us. My boyfriend was the one that scared her but i interveined and now she hates me too. I love her so much and she's such a smart cat. I treat her like a child and now I'm just so stressed and dont know what to do. I think it was a mixture of her going into heat and what they call redirected aggression. Any tips to snap her out of this horrible thing and let her roam free in my house again without us being afraid she will follow us and attack?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 03:03 PM
Cat

I've heard the Feliway diffusers work better than the collars, so you could put one in the room she is in as well. I'd also try having family members sit in the room and drop treats around her but maybe not interact with her as much so that she feels less threatened but still gets positive things from everyone. See if that improves the behavior over the next few days or weeks.

Nom de bloom.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 03:21 PM
Cat

Goodness, this is an awful situation.

My gut feeling is that the isolation is a real problem.

Could you try just sitting quietly in the room where she is and seeing if she gradually comes to you?

My experience of Siamese coming into heat is that they get excited and ridiculously loving, not angry, but I have only ever experienced it once.

It seems to me as though your little girl's world has collapsed.....first the boyfriend, then being confined. Of course, you can't have your child attacked, but I would be in there with my cat as much as I could, just being still and quiet.

I do hope it works out for you.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 03:27 PM
Cat Addict

Has she been spayed yet? I would also recommend a vet visit for other possible problems. Sometimes cats act out when they're in pain, my aunt's cat (only two years of age) was attacking her... turns out she had a terrible bladder infection.

Sometimes a trip to the vet (a scary place for cats) can also snap them out being intimidated by the people they know, maybe they realise how good they have it or something.

I would take her out of isolation as well. Being segregated is not healthy for her, and she may act out in frustration or boredom. Spend time with her quietly, not making any sudden movements or loud noises, so she realises you and your family aren't a threat. It may not be an instantaneous way of doing things, but it should slowly start to get her trusting you again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page