First time kitten owner :) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

First time kitten owner :)

Hi, hopefully this will allow me to post! I got confused with the rules and signature

Up until 2 weeks ago I hated cats... Then in a moment of madness I bought (my boys) a kitten... We named him lynx.. He is a black tabby and I'm very much now a crazy cat lady who is in love with her furry baby... He follows me around the house, he sleeps on my bed... He doesn't like change... I attempted to move him downstairs during the day and he responded by peeing on my bed I.e I can't be bothered to walk down the stairs... Since he got his own way and his 'stuff' (he should have a suit case! )Has been returned he is back to being an angel

I will be asking lots of advice I'm trying to do the right thing... When I got him he was being fed adult dry food...I also know that I had him early I didnt realise until after that he shouldn't have been given till 12 weeks but I had him from 8... I have changed him on to a pure wet diet... I've opted to attempt to be an indoor cat as I live near a main road... He has an I'd tag and I am taking him for his jabs tomorrow (bargain offer 43.50 including feline leukaemia plus microchipping) and I will be getting him neutered at 4 months...

So sorry long post but hi! Xxx

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 01:38 PM
Premier Cat

Awww another convert to how great cats are. Welcome. We have many members from your side of the ocean!

Kudos for planning on getting him neutered. Last thing you need is a male who sprays your house. Glad you are keeping him as an indoor with a busy road close by.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 02:31 PM
Kitten

Argh! just lost my text!
Quickl in reply:

a. 8 weeks is fine for adoption, no worries

b. peeing on bed - 3 things:
1. does he usually/regularly use his litter, or is he having trouble generally? If generally, check out forum on litterbox problems; in Canada their is a line "Dr Elsey" litter and litter attractant that is top notch - you can check out if you can get this on-line
2. separation anxiety: a move is a lot of stress; also tho kids and kittens can be fine, it is added commotion for little ones trying to settle in. I ALWAYS use a Feliway pheromone dispenser. It makes a huge difference.
3. a new kitten can be timid about venturing out of his "new nest" - he doesn't know if it is safe! And actually, a household can be full of accidents-in-waiting, e.g. are the toilet seats up, could a door to the outside be left open, is there access to foodstuffs that are dangerous like chocolate, onions or lily plants? Use a bit of the time he is staying put to learn about the potential dangers to kittens and cats in your home. Meanwhile, encourage him to sleep or play in a crate or box; then you can use it to introduce him to a new room. Not at all cruel, a crate (for transporting him in car, etc.) can be a familiar, reassuring, snug environment when there is so much unknown in the house.

Also: if you are on a busy road, do consider keeping him inside permanently. It's tempting I know - my guys just love the outdoors. But just this weekend I had my very street-saavy black cat snatched up, probably by a coyote. I let him out, and within 4 hours he was gone. Never missed a meal in his life (and often conned the neighbours into treats).

Good luck - just watch his behaviour and you'll know what is going on. Ask questions and use the internet. And, like all babies, they grow up and get much more predictable

Last edited by marie73; 08-31-2012 at 04:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 02:47 PM
Kitten

My boyfriend and I just got our first kitten about 3 weeks ago, he is now also a crazy cat person yay for crazy cat people!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

He has been using his litter box like a pro until I moved it.... Now it's back in his 'safe room' he's happy again.. He pretty much lives under my bed.. If I don't find him that's where he is... I'm happy for him to stay there... He disturbs me at night so sometimes I'll swiftly remove him if he starts nibbling feet, face, stopping me breathing my laying on my face etc lol... I'm plannin. To make him an indoor cat.. The amount of times I've been woken up buy horrific sounding cat fights I don't want that! I'm having him chipped in 3 weeks just incase he does a runner one day... I work for a pet tag I'd company so that was the first thing I bought!

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page