Almost new cat owner. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
coy
Jr. Cat

Almost new cat owner.

I'm not actually a cat owner yet. My new kitten was born five days ago and will be staying with his/her Mom for the new two months. I've never had a cat before so I wanted to join a site like this to learn all I can before my kitten comes home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome and congrats on your new kitten!

Kittens really should stay with their mother and littermates for 12 weeks, not 8. The first 6-8 weeks of their life is spent on growth related to survival...eyes and ears opening, getting teeth, learning to walk, being weaned etc. The second 6 weeks is about learning socialization skills. A kitten that stays with it's feline family for 12 weeks will be better adjusted, know that biting hard is unacceptable and less likely to try and suckle you (which is cute as a kitten, but can be painful when an adult).

So if you have any way to make this happen, I really suggest you do. BTW, is this kitten coming from a breeder? If so, letting them go at 8 weeks is a violation of TICA and CFA and is an indication that the breeder isn't reputable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
coy
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
Welcome and congrats on your new kitten!

Kittens really should stay with their mother and littermates for 12 weeks, not 8. The first 6-8 weeks of their life is spent on growth related to survival...eyes and ears opening, getting teeth, learning to walk, being weaned etc. The second 6 weeks is about learning socialization skills. A kitten that stays with it's feline family for 12 weeks will be better adjusted, know that biting hard is unacceptable and less likely to try and suckle you (which is cute as a kitten, but can be painful when an adult).

So if you have any way to make this happen, I really suggest you do. BTW, is this kitten coming from a breeder? If so, letting them go at 8 weeks is a violation of TICA and CFA and is an indication that the breeder isn't reputable.
Hi there, Thanks for the info. It's a neighbours cat who has had her first litter. Not really a breeder just a cat owner that's cat escaped the house and came back pregnant. She's given my the choice of when I want to collect the kitten, but after what you said I might ask if I can leave her/him until they're 12 weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 11:35 AM
Tom Cat

Since it's your neighbors kitten you will be able to go over and have visits. Or maybe cuddlemit at your house for an hour or so. Maybe she will let you help with feedings. I got the chance to bottle feed my baby and it was such a wonderful experience. He fell asleep in my arms afterwards.
Congrats and pictures please...........
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
coy
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyfurbabies View Post
Since it's your neighbors kitten you will be able to go over and have visits. Or maybe cuddlemit at your house for an hour or so. Maybe she will let you help with feedings. I got the chance to bottle feed my baby and it was such a wonderful experience. He fell asleep in my arms afterwards.
Congrats and pictures please...........
Lol Ive already been in to see the kittens a few times since their birth. I think my neighbour will be sick of me soon. Haven't held the kitten yet as the mom is pretty protective and keeps all her babies close.

I've had a word with my neighour and she's agreed to keep the kitten until ten weeks. she can't keep it longer as she's going away then.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 11:59 AM
Cat Addict

12 weeks definitely.

I was buying some Fountain Grass at a nursery and when the owner saw my trunk full of litter we started The Cat Talk. She asked what kind of kitty and when I said Ragdoll expecting a blank look she told me about her Ragamuffin. Her Ragamuffin breeder wouldn't let a kitten leave for 3 MONTHS!!

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 02:04 PM
Senior Cat

congrats!!

You're about to start a wonderful journey! Who is watching momma cat and the other kittens when your neighbor goes out of town? If the mom is going to be boarded, you could always volunteer to take the little family while she's gone. That way your kitten and the other kittens get their socialization, and momma gets good treatment too.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 04:21 PM
Kitten

Congrats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page