Hi! Have 3 rescued kittens - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Hi! Have 3 rescued kittens

Well the kittens aren’t kittens anymore, but we still call them the kittens.
A few winters ago a neighbor passed away and left his cat alone in the neighborhood. Nobody could catch the cat and it eventually had kittens in our back yard. We retrieve the kittens from a dangerous place subject to flooding and a big storm was approaching. I put the kittens in a cardboard box and had them on my front porch while I was calling around for help. When I finally went back outside the kittens were gone and the mother had moved them all under a shed in my back yard.
I worried about those kittens all through the storm and hoped that I had built the shed high enough above the flood area that they would be safe. When the storm was finally over a few days later, we found the kittens safe, but could not catch them. Months went by and we watched as the kittens grew and even ventured in our yard to play with our two dogs. The older dog was very protective of them and would not let our beagle near them, but the mother cat didn’t like the idea so much and would chase both dogs away.
It was a very cold winter so I moved one of the dog houses to my front porch and threw in some old pillows and covered the opening with an old blanket to keep the freezing wind out. We gave the kitten’s food and water, but they still kept their distance.
Then one day when we were at the store, a pair of pit bull escapee’s came up on our porch and killed the mother and two kittens. The other 3 somehow squeezed under some wood and escaped the massacre. It was extremely upsetting and we all cried for weeks.
We still could not get close to the kittens and borrowed a cage type trap and waited for hunger to overcome their fear. We finally captured them after about 3 days and moved them inside to a cage until we were sure that our other 2 cats would be alright with them.

Last edited by marie73; 09-02-2012 at 07:32 PM. Reason: font
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

I just wanted to add a photo if I can
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 11:42 PM
Senior Cat

I'm so sorry about what happened to the momma and her babies. I bet she was trying to protect them. It's great that you got the other three safely inside in a love home now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by minikin44 View Post
I'm so sorry about what happened to the momma and her babies. I bet she was trying to protect them. It's great that you got the other three safely inside in a love home now.
Thank you and yes she was definitely protecting her young. I think that was what got me the worst was knowing that she could have easily jumped up onto the 5 ft wall like she always did before. What made it even worst was that we had a gate to the porch that we forgot to close before going to the store.

I believe the kittens were traumatized from the event, because they are so insecure. Well except for the smallest one which ended up very sick after being spayed. I held her and comforted her until she got better. I think we bonded because now she will not leave my side unlike the other two who run just from me looking at them.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 01:09 AM
Tom Cat

Best looking Christmas tree I ever saw!
Sorry for your tragedy, I know how these things just stick with you. But you can take comfort in the happiness your brought to these babies now!
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyfurbabies View Post
Best looking Christmas tree I ever saw!
Sorry for your tragedy, I know how these things just stick with you. But you can take comfort in the happiness your brought to these babies now!
Thanks! Oh and I was wondering if anyone would notice the tree. It was the only photo that I had with all of them together.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 02:16 PM
Senior Cat

I think nursing them through an illness really does create a bond... my little Bear had a horrible parasitic infection when I got him and almost died... and now he follows me everywhere lol
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 02:22 PM
Cat Addict

Lovely photo - the events leadig up to it must have been horrible for you.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Itís funny because the male kitten which we named Sebastian is the most afraid of people, but not the dogs for some reason. I would have thought that the kittens would be scared to death of dogs, but Iíve seen Sebastian lying in the dog bed with our largest dog.

And even though Sebastian will not let me get too close, he sometimes sleeps at the bottom of my bed tight up against my legs. Iíve tried to reach down and pet him, but he bolts to the door every time.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 04:08 PM
Senior Cat

I am so sorry about what happened to you. I imagine what you've all been through. Mom cat would be happy if she knew you adopted her 3 little survivors.

Lots of patience with the little ones, they will eventually overcome their fears and start getting closer. Just give them some time. You have other cats so I'm sure you know about socialization and stuff

...and great pic! are the 3 siblings black or one of the "kittens" is the (actually bicolor) white one?

Hugs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page