hello from northern california! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

hello from northern california!

Hi there,

I am a college student in the San Francisco Bay Area, and the mom of a 10 year old black domestic shorthair named Friday. I've had her for three years. I sometimes foster kittens for a local feral cat trap-neuter-release organization. I joined because I have an issue at present that I wanted to ask the catforums community. Prior to this, I frequently would happen upon threads on catforums when looking up stuff about my cat, and found the users' responses and the community to be very helpful. Although I'm in an advice-needing situation at present, I hope to continue participating in the catforums community so I can "give back" as well.

Nice meeting you all!

C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

concerned neighbor: water for the cat

Hi there!

I have a question about leaving water out for my cat, and I was wondering if you guys had similar experiences.

I have been feeding my resident cat, named Friday -- I'll call her Fri for short from now on -- Weruva's chicken canned cat food for a couple of years. Prior to this, I was a newbie cat owner and had her on Friskies dried food. After her first checkup when she was deemed super overweight, I learned some stuff about cat nutrition and started feeding her the Weruva canned food on a schedule. She's since lost the extra weight and her lab results have come back excellent.

Now, on to the water question: Since getting Fri, she has NEVER drank water from a water bowl. I tried a wider bowl, different bowls, etc. She always would jump onto the bathroom counter whenever she wanted a sip. I'd turn on the faucet for as long as she needed, and then she'd hop off and go on her merry way. At one point, I tried out a Drinkwell pet fountain, and Fri took to that quite well. At this time, she was still on the dry food, so I did see her frequently drinking from the fountain. After switching her to Weruva, which has a really high water content, I never once saw her go near the fountain. I'm home a lot since I'm a student, and I keep odd hours (again, since I'm a student...sigh...), so I figured that she just got enough water from her food. And, being a mostly indoors cat (i.e., outdoors only on nice days when I'm also outside to watch) who sleeps all day (she's practically a piece of furniture), I figured that it would be fine if I unplugged the fountain and trusted that she would jump on the countertop if she wanted a sip of water. As a result, this meant that there wasn't a water dish out for her to freely drink from.

My reasoning was that 1) she wasn't going to drink from a water bowl, at least not from what I've seen, and 2) leaving the fountain out like that can't be good for her either, since the fountain accumulates this weird film on the edges pretty quickly (it's clear, I only notice it when I'm cleaning it and have to touch it), requires regular charcoal filter replacements, and has just been a magnet for dirt and cat hair and all of that. I'd rather her ask for a drink from the faucet than drink *that.*

This has been going on for a couple of years. Even without the fountain, Fri has never asked me for water. She's since had two, maybe three, checkups with labs done, and they've all come back excellent.

My neighbor catsat for me once and was really surprised to learn that I don't leave water out for my cat. She was just surprised then, but a recent incident caused her a lot of concern: Sometimes I let my cat out while I'm out in the backyard doing something (like taking out the trash and recycling, laundry, etc.). She never strays far, so I usually just check on her every fifteen minutes or so. A couple months back (I think?) she actually got into the upstairs neighbor's apartment and (without my knowledge) ate a bunch of her dog's dry kibble while they were out. When I called her back (i.e., when she hears the sound of a can opening or a bag of treats getting shaken, hehehe), I noticed she was lethargic and tense for the rest of the night, and was asking me for water from the faucet (for the first time in years!). I only found out the dog kibble thing after she vomited it up (...which was AFTER the prompt vet visit...how timely).

I asked this same neighbor to take me to the vet because I don't drive, and she the not-leaving-water-out thing came to the forefront again. I thought that maybe my cat was undergoing kidney failure, since she was around 10 at the time and I knew to watch out for excessive water consumption. Tests came back excellent; everything was great, just dehydrated. I thought it odd, came home, gave her some water in a bowl (which she drank!!! she must've been really thirsty), and hours later she puked up the kibble. At that point I rolled my eyes at her shenanigans and laughed it off.

Today, this neighbor confronted me about the water again because I had been fostering a kitten and she was concerned that I was doing the same for the kitten. (I wasn't---the kitten eats dry kitten food and regularly laps up water! I definitely leave a dish out for her.) She said she had called several vets (anonymously) and asked about the practice of not leaving water out. She was very concerned for my cats and wasn't interested in hearing out my justifications for doing what I did. I was wondering if any of you have had similar experiences---or was I really just totally in the wrong for not leaving water out? I've started to leave water out since the dog kibble incident, but I honestly think that had she not asked for faucet water several times, I never would've suspected anything was wrong in the first place--in some sense, I appreciated that this was a way for me to check on her water consumption as well.

I would really appreciate your thoughts on this, since my neighbor's comments have left me quite distraught.

Thanks very much.

C
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 11:19 PM
Senior Cat

Hi C, I love the name Friday by the way.

I’m just not sure about the water issue and I’ve never heard anything like it. I have a large self watering bowl for all of my 5 cats and they just drink whenever they feel like it. I think it’s about 2 or 3 gal and water is always available and never spills on to the floor.

I also have one cat that drinks out of the toilet so we have to always keep the cover down

Last edited by builder; 09-04-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 11:41 PM
Senior Cat

Also if you are feeding your cat canned food Fri is probably getting enough fluid. When feeding dry food cats need water. As to the dog food consumption dog has more fillers and less protein than cat food, so that may contribute to him getting sick.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 05:34 PM
Kitten

Welcome to the forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page