Hello and kitten question - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Hello and kitten question

Hi everyone,
I just adopted a 4 month old sweet, medium hair calico kitten from the Humane Society on Friday afternoon. I am so happy. We named her Mopsy. Our last cat died just over 9 years ago and we had two crazy dogs and never thought it fair to introduce a new cat to them. The dogs had sadly died now and so we got a kitten. Anyway, I have some concerns.
The kitten is very affectionate and sweet. She barely eats, although I assume that might just be her trying to adjust. I have her on wet food which is what she had at the shelter and what I intend to keep feeding her. She seems to like it but eats very little. She did eat breakfast better this morning. Yesterday she managed almost one small can..according to the can she should have had 3 for her weight (3 lbs). She did eat half a can at breakfast this morning.. maybe she is settling in.
Biggest problem: she is not using the litter box. I have scoured my house and she has not pooped since she has been here. I keep her in the laundry room with her food, bed and litter box when I leave the house and she hasn't gone in there. She pees in the bath tub. I have cleaned the tubs (she has peed in 2) thoroughly, doused in Nature's miracle and left half an inch of water in the bottom of the tub thinking that would put her off (not enough to drown in just enough to get her paws wet)(she hasn't peed in them since but that was just this morning). I am trying to keep the bathroom doors closed but with three young children that's wishful thinking.
She has an open litter box, I put "cat attract" litter in there. It's clean...never been used. In the laundry room which is quiet, right off the kitchen and private, but close enough to where we are. It's not near her food...on other side of room.
When I leave the house I put her in the laundry room. She doesn't seem crazy about that idea but don't want her to have whole run of house with chance to make mistakes everywhere.
I am going to take her to the vet but they can't see her until tomorrow. She is on doxycycline for a URI. I've heard a few sneezes but not much.
Any advice for me? I have been taking her to the litter box and gently putting her in it several times a day, but she jumps right out and shakes her head at me like I have offended her.
This will sound callous, but I don't want a cat who is going to have litter box issues her whole life. I've never had experience with this before...all my other kitties used their boxes unless there was a serious problem (usually something I had done not them). This is a sweet kitten but there are lots more who are probably going to be euthanised...is this problem fixable? Why the tub? I have tried everything I can think of but need advice. I really like this little girl..unbelievably tolerant with my children...but don't know what to do to help her learn this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Update: I've left her in the laundry room. Small room. Followed all the litter box advice. She has started peeing and pooping all over the floor and still refuses the litter. I don't know what else to do. Litter box is big, low, clean, far from her food, cat attract litter, uncovered.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 09:39 AM
Kitten

it could be she doesnt like the litter ur using make sure its the one she had at the shelter and the best time to try putting her in the litter box is after she has eaten as thats the usual time they pee.Also try a hooded one maybe she feels to vunerable and wants to feel more secure.
with regards to cat food i had a small cat who hardly ate a thing until i gave her biscuits(dry food) which she loved and used to happily graze all day and eat the jelly off the wet when i fed my two together.I stopped worrying about it then tho as i knew she was getting enough with the buiscuits and she just seemed to prefer it.She was always small and ate little but the vet was never concerned.Also maybe something spooked her when she used the litter once so you could try moving to a different place more out of the way.Good luck and dont give up its early days and tortis (calico as u say) are very loving sweet natured cats it will be worth it for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page