Hi fellow catters. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Hi fellow catters.

Let me introduce myself. I am Po's Mom. Pomaika'i (Po for short) is the Hawaiian word for Lucky. Po is a female tuxedo cat that found us one night while we were sitting on our back deck. She was very very thin, had awful fur, a starving meow, and love and trust in her eyes. She appeared to be quite young since she was so small.

Over the next week, we gave her food and water in our driveway. She would come and lie beside you and was so friendly. Our daughter noticed one day while she was petting her that on one paw three nails were broken and pressing into the pad of her foot. Poor little thing was in pain, and hungry however came twice a day from under a bush or from under the car.

It was keeping me up at night thinking about her in the harsh storms we were having and the hot weather so I made an appointment at our vet to see what we could do to help her. By the time we got her to the vet a couple days later I was in tears and having an anxiety attack. That day, at the vet, Po got a rabies shot, blood test for leukemia, the flea stuff, all three nails taken right out of her paws without any pain blocker, the rest of her nails clipped, a powerful antibiotic shot, deworming, and a good once over. With instructions to keep her inside for two weeks so her paw could heal we took her back to our home. (Leukemia was negative!!!)

For the next two weeks we kept her in our garage in a huge soft blue kennel (belonging to our yorkies.) I changed her paper litter daily, kept her fed, and cleaned her daily with Paul Mitchel pet wipes. During the two weeks we found a new home for Po and were just awaiting her followup appointment. At that appointment we were so happy to see that she had gained a whole pound and her paw was healing great. Only thing was she was still sickly looking. Out vet thought a blood test might be in order to see if there was a renal desease. So we told her we would tell the new owner to have that done.

On to Pet Smart we went and in the short drive there, we decided Po was not going to a new owner. She had already found her new owners and we were preparing ourselves for whatever might happen. We called the vet right back and set up the blood test in a couple days. Po got a new kitty condo, scratching post, brush and comb and toys that day. We got back home a brought her into the house and into her own bedroom.

Two days later it was back for the blood test. We were so nervous that the news would be bad and we'd have to put her down. The next morning the Vet called with the news- Hyperthyroid!!!! Not a death sentence by far!!!!!! We also discovered that Po was probably already a teenager.

So now Po takes two pills daily and in two weeks her fur is fluffing up and her little belly is getting bigger. She loves loves loves to be brushed and held. We don't know what the future holds but we know we will give Po whatever we can for as long as we can.

That's the story of our Lucky (pomaika'i-Po)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page