Hello, cat lover question - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Hello, cat lover question

Hey,

This is my introductory post. How is everyone? I am a cat-owner (basically all my life) with a specific question about my baby. It is regarding the spay/neuter procedure she had done lat year. I am not sure if it should go in "health" or general.....but I am going to post it the general talk. I am concerned about something (and a little guilty). I'll explain there. Hope to see you there. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

As for my second mandatory post...

OK, since the rules require another post here and I'd hate to waste anyone's time..I suppose I will just post what has been on my mind about my cat. (as quickly as possible lol)

Basically, when she turned 1 last year, everyone around me was adamant about having her fixed. (I've always had cats growing up that weren't fixed which usually resulted in a litter of kittens..but since Bob Barker got the message across...I assumed it was the only way to go.)

However, in this case, my cat was still kitten size at 1, petite and cute....and her signs of being in heat were very minimal...so I questioned having it done. Then, when I REALLY did the research, ALL I could find as reasons to have the surgery were:
1. Population control
2. It prevents Ovarian cancer.

Well, number one is a human problem, and my cat doesn't leave the house, so that was out. And as far as preventing ovarian cancer------no kidding. That's like cutting off my scrotum to prevent testicular cancer. I wasn't buying it. It wasn't worth putting my cat under the knife......

But finally, I was pressured into it. My excuse was that it will save her the "agony" of being in heat. I guess.

SO A YEAR LATER-- She had the surgery and she is more loving...I guess. (Again...a "me" thing) and I suppose she is free of the horrors of the female cycle. BUT my once petite, beautiful, cute, litten girl now has a giant bulge in her stomach that swings back and forth when she runs. It just doesn't look right!!

Is that normal?? Did I butcher my cat for no reason? I am very upset about this. I thought I would ask some people who know. Although, I can bet what the answer's gonna be. Doesn't feel right, you know?

Thx. sorry if this is in the wrong place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page