Im new and concerned about a kitten I have - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Smile Im new and concerned about a kitten I have

Hi everyone..Im happy to be here!

My name is Naomi. I love cats! I love all animals but I have a fondness for felines especially. I have worked at many cat rescues all my life. I have volunteered at ASAP (Animal Shelter Assistance Program) that helps take in all kittens and cats and provides shelter and the Tenth Life Foundation, a shelter for sick and injured cats.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to volunteer for the past two years as I have gone back to school. But I have been rescuing some kitties around the neighbor hood and making sure they are spayed and neutered or I leave food for them. One lil guy that is in my neighborhood is a older kitten with a huge hard swollen belly. He is a stray and Im wondering if taking him to vet is useless because he will remain outdoors or if getting him treatment and leaving him as a stray is possible and can be done successfully?
Anyone have some suggestions?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 07:42 PM
Jr. Cat

I have heard of people trapping strays and them releasing them after they have been treated, but I have not done it myself. Once you are able, go post in the Ferals part and see if anyone has any suggestions. Good luck!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 07:57 PM
Senior Cat

Really bad parasites perhaps? It seems like, even if he goes outdoors again, its better to check in case it's something he wouldn't get again but is hurting him?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 08:21 PM
Kitten

Sounds like worms maybe. If you can try treating him with a dewormer and also flea medicine. Fleas cause the worms from the cat ingesting them. Good luck.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 09:29 PM
Kitten

In my mom's neighborhood there are some stray cats that she has taken under her wing. It is a huge help to stray cats whatever you can manage to do for them. Her and I have been working on catching them all to be spayed/neutered and checked for FIV.

I'm assuming since you've commented that the kitty has a hard swollen stomach that you've been able to touch him? If you can afford it, I say take him to the vet and start him on revolution or something similar. I don't think it would take long for him to become your outside kitty instead of just a stray you help out now and then. Most of the cats my mom helps now live in and around her yard.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 09:32 PM
Kitten

Sorry, forgot to mention he most likely has parasites (from my experience). I don't know if you're every able to see him use the bathroom but keep an eye out for loose stools or a messy bottom. If he has parasites, when his poop is like that the number of intestinal worms are ridiculous in numbers and he needs to be seen by a vet asap (I don't know if that could be a sign for other issues but I've seen that in outside cats, that was the issue.)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 09:54 PM
Senior Cat

ugh

Prepare for a nasty sight... it can be really bad 0_o

Last edited by marie73; 09-09-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page