New member! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

New member!

Hi everyone!

My name is Melissa and I am quite excited to start my journey through catforum! I am presently employed at an Animal Boutique in Montreal that specializes in grain-free, raw diet for dogs and cats. This being said, I have started my own undertaking in getting my cats to eat raw - let me tell you, it is not an easy one!

I have 2 wonderful cats: Ruby and Hooligan. They were both strays that I found 2-4 years ago. Ruby is 2-3 years old and Hooligan is 3-4 years old...still fairly young! With the recent start of my new job, I have just been informed that everything I was feeding my cats before was terribly wrong. I have read a few posts here and there and I am quite excited to be a part of it.

I hope to both receive and give help to everyone of you's that need it.
Speak to you soon!
Melissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Second post! In dire need of help...

Now that I am fully introduced, I do have one question for you all (and then I can begin thinking of my third post!) As mentioned, I am beginning my cats on a raw diet - but they are first in the process of getting accustomed to their grain-free, canned food. I've gone through venison, turkey, chicken, mackerel (which they both loved) anything and everything!

Hooligan, my male cat, will eat anything you put in front of him -he is a godsend! Ha ha. Ruby, my female cat on the other hand, will eat nothing by tuna. Today is the only day that I've gone almost an entire day (9am - 9pm) with trying to get her to eat either her venison canned food or her turkey in gravy. I've put it out with parmesan, fish oil, then I poured some "tuna juice" on it and she did not want to know anything about it. She would get very close, smell it and then walk away. I succumbed to her meows and put about 3TBS of tuna (her tuna cat food, not for human consumption) and she had at it. She ate the tuna, but only the tuna that wasn't touching the other 2 proteins.

I hate to do this but I will not give her more - I've left her plate out for over an hour now. I don't know how else to introduce her. I know that too much tuna is not great and that she is clearly addicted to it now. Have you guys ever come across this problem? Should I be concerned about her not eating very much in a day? (She is about 6-7 pounds - that is her healthy weight).

Should I be slowly introducing ("tricking her") into eating other meat that is hidden under her tuna? I am completely defeated and at my wits end.

Please help
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 03:45 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome!

When I adopted Cinderella, all she had been fed for a long time is Chicken-of-the-Sea tuna. Not cat food, people food. It was like trying to get someone off crack.

Good luck. You're employed as an animal nutritionist, hopefully you'll be learning all kinds of good stuff for your cats - as long as your workplace doesn't believe that dry food cleans cats' teeth......

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page