Rebekah, Ninja, and Pirate... checking in! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Rebekah, Ninja, and Pirate... checking in!

Hello,
My name is Rebekah, companion of Pirate and Ninja Kitty. I am from Knoxville, TN and am slowly become a youngish cat lady.

Ninja:
Ninja is a black and white DSH that has been with me for a year and half. She is about 2.5 years old and was rescued by a friend from a gutter during a rain storm when she was about 4 weeks old. She came to live with me on a temporary basis about 11 mos later as the old farmhouse I was living in was experiencing seasonal intruders (mice) that had come in from the fields. My roommate fell in love (VERY surprising) and it was official, she was ours. Little did anyone know but when she came to me she was.... SURPRISE, PREGNANT! So we had a litter of four kitties that all found loving homes. The experience was wonderful but the whole story kind of sounds like an after school special. moving forward, she has been fixed but unfortunately my roommate passed away unexpectedly in February and we have since moved to the other side of town.

Pirate:
Pirate is a seven month old Bombay mix that was on my porch one day when I came home about two months ago. True to his Bombay heritage, this guy was an "instant lap cat" indeed and took right up to both myself and Ninja although it took Ninja about three days to to warm up to him! His playful nature and handsome stature stole the show at my apartment with all of my friends cooing over him. One thing you should know about Pirate, if you have something to eat, he wants it too and he WILL figure out a way to get it! I had nicknamed him diabeetus kitty.

Over the weekend, I noticed a general decline in Pirate. He was not playful at all and had lost all interest in food.... I knew something was terribly wrong. His third eyelid was overly present and he was clearly dehydrated. A trip to the vet on Monday brought my worst fears into reality. Pirate has feline leukemia. Of course this called for an immediate vet visit for Ninja as well to have her checked out and she tested negative. After a lot of tears and encouraging support from the vet, I brought them both home. She said that he is sick and will certainly die but what we are going through now looks like a flair up and we should see how he responds to "treatment".

I'm here hoping that I can find others who have (or had) cats that are living with feline leukemia. Most online articles are redundant and I would like to know about similar experiences that others have had and how they help to provide comfort to their cat during these times.

Ninja Kitty (left) & Pirate (right):
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 11:03 PM
Cat Addict

AW, Hi and welcome. I'm so sorry to hear about Pirate's diagnosis! She (he?) is so cute and so lucky to find a home with someone who will care for her in her short life. And I just love your Ninja. I have a ninja too.

Rachael with Thurston, Sully and Ninja.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 10:40 AM
Kitten

I'm a new member here too, but I wanted to wish you the best with Pirate's disease. While none of my kitties have had FeLV, I hang out with cats for a living, and so I've known a number of FeLV+ kitties over the years who have lived happily for quite a long time with that illness. I hope he's able to pull through his current flare-up and reach a comfortable, stable place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 02:39 PM
Jr. Cat

What a great introduction! My parents had a FELV positive kitty when I was little. His name was Riff Raff, and he was wonderful. I don't think my parents gave him any special treatment (not saying you shouldn't, either!) and he lived to be about 7. He had a very happy life and I'll always remember him, as I'm sure will also be the case for you and your Ninja.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page