Lifetime cat lover, brand new forum member - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Location: Atlanta, GA/San Diego, CA/Odessa, TX/Rural Michigan
Lifetime cat lover, brand new forum member

Hey gang! My name is Megan and I am originally from Texas but also call San Diego home. I grew up with 5 kitties-all rescues. Waited to marry til I was 35 (my hubby was 40) - first marriage no kids for both of us. I have spent years rescuing cats and rehoming them on my own. In SD I mimicked the Feral Cat Colilitions TNR program and found homes for several toms. My hubby could not handle the rehoming part so my last rescue we decided to keep. We travel ALot so having a pet is not ideal, but my little guy has been on about 10 plane rides and is a champ. He is my first pet that I have chosen to parent since I was 10. We rescued him from an abusive home when he was 8 weeks old. He is trained to scratch on his pads and posts only, he is leash trained, airplane trained, car trained and socialized well with humans and felines. His name is Red. He is a joy and is our baby...since we have no other little one in our home.

I am so happy to be here. I recently met a young Russian Blue...Reds girlfriend...who frequents our yard. Red lost interest upon learning that the GrayGirl was probably just using him for his money to care for her 4 babies under our shed. More on my issue with the single mommy later...for now I just want to say Hi!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 08:54 AM
Kitten

Wonderful story! Crazy that your kitty is the first one you have hung on to in all that time.... and quite the traveler!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 06:12 PM
Kitten

Hi Megan,
I love your story and enthusiasm...I would love to see a photo of champ Red! He sounds like a lot of fun!

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 09:48 AM
Kitten

He sounds wonderful! What a lovely story
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Location: Atlanta, GA/San Diego, CA/Odessa, TX/Rural Michigan
I actually joined the forum to get help about a stray cat who had 4 babies behind my house...she has been moving them periodically so I cannot always keep track. They are now about 4-5 weeks old ( they are still nursing, but she is catching mice for them and now encouraging them to eat the food I leave out for her). She has finally brought them to us and they are all sleeping in boxes with towels under our patio furniture. Mama is super tame and trusting of us (and Red) but the kitties are frightened. A couple of them have seen us petting and feeding mama so I think they will come around. I have a vet appt for Mama Monday morning to get her checked out, shots and on the road to being spayed. I am concerned, however, about separating her from the kitties for the appointment. Is this a bad move? Could it cause her to distrust me? I have a potential adopter for her coming over tomorrow to meet her. My next task will be to adopt out the kittens. I would not do this until they are ready, probably in early November. But I have yet ANOTHER dilemma, I am leaving town for the month of October. I have people who can feed the kitties while I am away, but that doesn't help the cause of trying to tame the kittens. I am moving from the area in late November and would like to have homed them all before I go. I will not abandon them. Does anyone have ANY experience/advice on how to handle mama and babies? I am so nervous about taking her away even for an appointment and I worry the kittens will not tame in time to be adopted out. I tried to post elsewhere, but my brand new Kitten status won't allow me to yet.

Sent from my iPad using PG Free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page