Greetings from the Middle East - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Hi there,

This is my new rescue although her fur is longer now. I can post other pics. It's much silkier and finer than my previous cat who was Persian and nowhere near as dense. She's a lot more petite in build - she's a small cat and has average length legs unlike the cat prior who had squat ones, (one of her legs was broken by the previous owners and allowed to reheal - she has a pimp walk).

She's pretty chilled until the ball comes out and then she will play fetch for hours and hours - she'll "meh" at you until you throw the ball and bring it back to your feet. She clever.

I assumed she was a mog. I live in the Middle East and she obviously has no Mau in her so has maybe been bred. Someone asked if she was an Asian Semi-Longhair. A what??? Feline Friends said that she may have had one litter and been used for breeding though they couldn't be sure. As she is coming out of herself, she seems kitten-like still. She's a youngster. Maybe 1-2 ... and small because of mal-treatment or just because she is.. I don't know. She does however eat loads more than the Persian who was 3x her size.

Any ideas?

Claire

Although I am from the UK (Wales) originally. I just popped in to see if anyone can identify my cat ... thank in advance! She's a cutie. Looking forward to meeting all your mogs. C

Last edited by marie73; 01-30-2013 at 01:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 01:20 AM
Premier Cat

Hi there! Can't wait to see pictures of your cat.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 09:04 PM
Kitten

Hello! Where are you living in the Middle East? Obviously I understand if you don't want to share specifics, but I am looking a a few places there to study abroad soon. Also, I've heard that the culture is different in how it views pets. Have you noticed that at all / is that even true? Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 04:23 AM
Kitten

Becks, I live in the Middle East, too....Kuwait specificially....and I have to say that the culture is quite different in its view of pets. I'm accustomed to the western world where we treat animals like family, and if you notice a stray cat or dog you do everything you can to make sure it is healthy and fed...and then taken to a shelter.

Overall, what I've seen here is SO different than my background. Stray cats and dogs are everywhere and there's no government-run program in place to humanely address this (fix + release programs, government-funded shelters, etc). The grunt work in dealing with feral cats + dogs is done by two small shelters...both are 100% privately funded from what I've read, rely mostly on volunteers and seem to struggle to stay afloat.

There's a high rate of animal abuse, and until recently the government's strategy in dealing with strays was to spread poison in public areas in attempt to kill stray dogs and cats. It's really quite heartbreaking. I've lived here for 8 months, taken care of 20+ strays...and I don't think I'll ever be prepared for some of the things I see and hear in regards to animal treatment here.

Definitely don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but just want to prepare you for that should you study abroad. Perhaps this mentality doesn't ring true in other Middle Eastern countries but it's what I've observed here.

On the flip side, there are many, many people here who have a passion for taking care of strays and finding them forever families! So, should you happen to find yourself in Kuwait, know that your passion for animals will be welcomed by many (PAWS + K's Path shelter) and there's plenty of work to be done here.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Hey all... Sorry for the tardy reply. I live in Dubai and I know many cat and dog owners here, however due to the transient nature of the population here there are many cats in need of homes. (Dogs too) .. We have organisations here run by the goodness of people such as Feline friends, Wags and purrs and Animal action. They work hard!

Pet Cats here also mean BIG CATS.

Study wise, go elsewhere. The cost of living here is too high.

Hmmm .. I'm trying to post picture. God she is gorgeous. Grey with an almost black face. Massive eyes. Where am I going wrong? Will re-read the distructions...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 05:50 PM
Cat

I lived in Turkey many decades ago, but it doesn't seem that animal treatment has improved in those countries. Dogs were especially poorly treated. Many Muslims see them as unclean and will literally cross the street to kick one. Cats were treated better in the area I lived, but there were still many strays. I'm glad that there are some humane groups there and people like you that care. How animals are treated shows alot about the society as a whole, IMHO.

I struggled with picture posting too. Check the instructions under Tech Support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page