Hello - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Hello

Newish cat owner from Atlanta. Got a 7 month old kitty.. he's black, white, brown and super cute! I just gave him his first can of wet food.. blue buffalo chicken, the small 3oz can. Question about that.. right now I feed him 1/3 cup of dry food 3 times a day. I gave him the full 3oz can for his first feeding but he only ate like half of it.. it looks like A LOT of food! Do I just leave it there until he finishes or should I throw it away at this point? Looks like a great community to be apart of!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 01:50 PM
Jr. Cat

I try to leave a nice heaping of dry food out for the kittens (especially since they tend to attack the older cat's food bowl periodically throughout the day). As for the cans, they split a 3 oz. between the two of them so if there's any left over after a few minutes, I'll take it away and put in the fridge till the next time.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 03:57 PM
Kitten

Hello

I'm not too sure about the dry food, that sounds like too much to me, but I know that my 6month old male kitty normally eats about 3oz in one sitting. I don't leave it out. If he walks away from it and acts like he's done, it's in the trash. I can't stand crusty food bowls. You may want to give your kitty half if the can, and save the rest in the refrigerator for later. If you're worried about car food smell in your fridge, wrap it up in plastic and a bag first. My husband hates when I put cat food in the fridge, but I hide it in the bottom and he can't even tell.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 04:14 PM
Cat Addict

I never give any of mine a full tin at a time but I prefer to give a few smaller meals a day anyway - just my peculiarity. With six cats and a dog around - there'd be no point in leaving food down even if I wanted to!!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 04:52 PM
Premier Cat

Try giving him less wet food and put the rest of the can in the frige until next meal or two. A few seconds in the microwave on reduced power will warm it up nicely. No sense throwing out expensive food it he likes it.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks for the advice guys. I split up the 3oz can today and put the other half in the fridge and he gobbled it all up lol.

I did have another question. I'm a smoker (outside only) and when I come back in from smoking I always wash my hands in the bathroom sink. Well kitty decided he loves that and drinks out of the faucet every time. But lately he's been dragging me over there multiple times a day to drink water and seems to be snubbing his water bowl. My only concern here is that he is still drinking enough on his own to be healthly. I have one of those mini jugs that keeps dispensing water as he drinks it so he should always have pretty fresh water. I change the whole thing out about 3 times a week.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 04:28 PM
Jr. Cat

Hello, It sounds like your kitty is training you to turn on the water for him! Actually cats often don't drink much water, as they are derived from desert animals. Plus canned cat food contains quite a bit of water.
Some cats just plain prefer to drink running water......you might want to try getting one of those drinking fountains.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page