Hey There...over 20 years around cats and still learning..that hard way - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Hey There...over 20 years around cats and still learning..that hard way

Hey everyone,

My names Lee and both me and my girl friend love cats, we treat them like our children. We are probably 1 or 2 steps away from creating FB accounts for our cats haha.

Me and my girl friend have two cats, one which we recently had to put down. We picked them both up from a no kill shelter in June of 2011. Orion, the one we had to put down, got ahold of a lily pedal and we found out to late, along with us both never knowing lilies were deadly to them and we had been around cats since we were small children, Im 28 now. He was like our son and its been a month and I still miss his quirky and lovable personality.

We now have only his sister and are in search of a new companion for her and lovable cat for me since I work from home. His sister samantha loves to play but isnt much of a lap cat nor does she crave attention, shes a tortoiseshell. She loves feet though...its really weird

Heres a pic of Orion, our boy we had to put down, only 1.5 years old and 15lbs. Any help with what breed he is would be greatly appreciated.

Heres a pic of his sister samantha, obviously not blood kin.

Im happy that I joined this site, I hope to get a lot more helpful info and continue learning about how to keep cats healthy and happy.

Last edited by marie73; 02-18-2013 at 08:36 PM. Reason: fixed picture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome, Lee,

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Gorgeous cats, both lovely DSH (domestic short hair) cats. Orion was a tabby and Samantha a tortoiseshell. (I think, not really an expert on coats like Orion's.)

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks . Yeah I hate being picky by since we lost Orion iv been wanting to find a young cat/ kitten that has similar features as him. Iv looked on many adoption sites and not a single cat has a similar color and design as him. I figured he as a tabby, domestic short hair. I'm just hoping the next male kitten we get is as goofy and loving as he was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

Have you looked on Petfinder?

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Yeah, a little. I usually need a break from looking because I get all mopey lookin at all the cats that need homes. I'm also trying keep to a young male cat under 6 months old for the sake of our young female cat. I want to make sure she isn't threatened by a larger cat. This way a kitten can be source of play for her since they are so spastic at a young age.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 01:10 PM
Cool Cat

i am so sorry about your beautiful Orion. i unfortunately understand about the constant learning process, too, but there is no way for us to know everything right away. i just keep reading as much as i can to prevent whatever is possible, and this forum is an incredible source of info for that!

i hope you can maybe find a sweetie pie at you local shelter actually. there's nothing like meeting them in person and bringing home the one you make an instant connection with.

i've discovered that it's very easy for me to fall in love with every cat i spend any length of time with even if i didn't make an instant connection. they all have grown on me. if i took every one of them home, i'd have 15 cats. as it is, i have gone from 1 to 3 cats in just the last few months.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 02:43 PM
Tom Cat

I am so sorry for your loss. It is always hard to lose a furbaby, especially one that is a part of the family.

Welcome to the forum!

I have had cats since I was little, but I didn't know about a lot of things until I joined the forum. This is a great support system of people who care for animals and each other!

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 03:32 PM
Senior Cat

I am so sorry for your loss! There are a number of plants that can kill cats, but I would not have known that one would be fatal either.

I hope you find a new kitty soon, but I'm sure it is hard to choose a new one. Especially when you want one that looks like Orion and has a similar personality. At 6 months, a kitten will not have their full personalities yet, so it will be a while before you can judge it's personality. Perhaps you will find one that you connect with or that chooses you. Good luck with your search!!

Mylita
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 05:18 PM
Cat Addict

He looks very much my Oz (one of the three on my avatar). I've never aimed to recapture a "look" because it can end up being so disappointing - let a cat connect with you instead and if he / she has a similar look so much the better.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 05:44 PM
Cat Addict

I attended a talk by a local greenhouse telling about which plants are harmful to cats, and there was almost an hour devoted to lilies, and lily relatives. It was confusing to me because there were some that were in the lily family that weren't toxic and vice versa. But the advice I ended up taking home is if there is any question whether a lily is or isn't toxic, don't keep it where the cats can get to it.

Lily Poisoning in Cats | petMD

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page