Hello, hope to get advise on sick kitty - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Hello, hope to get advise on sick kitty

Hello, we are Manou & Katherine from Australia.

I'm writing out of concern for our cat. Well, last week, he was sitting infront of our front door meowing. We ignored it but then he came around the back and came inside thru the open sliding door. Since then he's been living with us, even when we put him outside the back at night, the next morning he's there and stays in the house the remainder of the day. He has no collar or anything but he is desexed.

Anyway, until we find the right owner, he's not having the best day. We've been feeding him dry and wet food, the first time we gave him diluted milk but switched to just plain water.
After a few days, we noticed that his tummy was getting bigger and harder. After every meal he goes to the back yard and squats, but think it's just a wee or trying to do a poo I'm not sure.
Today my girlfriend witnessed him throwing up quite an amount of food/jelly like substance and a hairball. Thinking this is normal for a cat she let him be. After a while she picked him up and he pooped a little when she did (runny/diarrhea), when she wanted to take him down to put him outside a whole lot more came out.

Since then (12hrs ago) he hasn't eaten or even drank anything. He looks a little sleepy/slow and his breathing is slightly faster. He does still flirt and purr tho.

Another thing we noticed is on the left bottom side of his "lip" is that he's bleeding minimally. It looks like his fang is digging into his gums but I'm not sure. The blood doesn't exactly look like blood, it's a bit lighter and more jelly like than liquid. We don't know if this is related or not.

Since the cat came to us out of the blue, we don't know it's history. All we know is that he looked fine in the last week before today.

I know this is a long post for which I'm sorry. We're just worried as we come to care for him, both of us being big cat lovers.

Maybe the multiple symptoms might make it easier to zero in on the problem.

Hope someone can help,

Thanks in advance,

Manou & Katherine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 12:33 AM
Premier Cat

Welcome - although I wish it were under better circumstances.

Once you've made the requisite posts in this forum, you may want to ask the question in the health & nutrition forum; you'll get a lot more responses.

Maybe he got into something that he shouldn't have eaten?

Have you seen him peeing? If I remember, some posters have mentioned that a cat's tummy will get distended and hard if the cat has a urinary tract blockage. I do know that if this is the case, he needs veterinary care immediately.

I hope someone's able to give you some better advice.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 02:51 AM
Senior Cat

Hello, hope to get advise on sick kitty

If you care for the kitty then you need to take him to the vet ASAP. There could be any number of reasons for what's going on with him but the fact that he's had diarrhea and not drank anything in some time worries me in that he may be dehydrated. Please take him in soon. He may have a blockage but doubtful if stuff is coming out the rear but that could also just be what was still in him. The labored breathing and lethargy are also worrying.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page