Cat Forum banner

Not New to Owning Cats

302 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Noor 
#1 ·
I had my first cat as soon as I was out of the womb (or perhaps it would be more accurate to say that my parents had it). When my mother got divorced, we moved in with my aunt, who had 2-3 cats. Two years later my mother remarried, and I was left catless. When I started elementary, she let me choose a hamster. I'm still not sure as to why exactly I choose a hamster over a cat or snake.

I remained catless until I was 10, at which point we moved back in with my aunt, who had two beautiful Siamese cats -- brother and sister. The brother was fixed, but the sister was not, and had kids with the Russian Blue across the street. You would think that people with expensive cats would be a little more careful! But it was of course an accident.

So she (Pearl) gave birth to beautiful kittens (a girl and a boy). My parents had recently been forced to put down my current pet (a dog that I considered my only friend), and so let me choose one of the cats. I called him Spike (ala Buffy).

Alas, my father had to move for work, and Spike had to move back in with his sister at my aunt's place, because where we were moving would not allow cats.

My father got a promotion later, and we moved to a different house, but we lived about five states over from Spike, and no one wanted to drive to get him, and everyone (myself included) objected to having him shipped.

About two years later, I found a colony behind my doctor's office (I was having to go regularly for some health issues I was having at the time) and I got a kitten whom I named Amber. She's beautiful and sweet.

Due to some domestic issues, I had to leave home unexpectedly and live in a woman's shelter for a while, and then the only appt I could afford in town had a no pet's policy, so Amber stayed with my mother. (Who is in love with her by the way)

For financial reasons, I'm soon going to be moving in with my Aunt all the way across the country, and cannot take my cat, but I'm kind of relieved about that, because my Aunt and her roommates (2) have 11 cats between them, all with special needs.

Now, I know people who can take care of eleven cats, especially if two people are home all the time (unemployed) and one of them works regular hours (teacher). However, I have seen how each of these three deals with cats. I know what I'm going to see is going to break my heart, especially because I love cats.

Basically, I really want help with dealing with my feelings about living in a house that's in this condition, dealing with the feelings that come from living in a living room with these poorly socialized cats, and what I can do to help these cats be healthier, and enjoy a better life.

Now, I'm sure it won't all be sad. I'll be sure to post up funny stories and events that happen :)

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.