Friendly Southern Hello - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Talking Friendly Southern Hello

Hello,
We have a 6 month rescue cat named Hamilton but he is called several nicknames by the family. (Ham bone, and Hammy being the most used)
We were not necessarily looking to add a cat to our family when we were visiting the shelter this past October. However, there was a little 2 month old black cat who knew he was coming home with us that day. He was certainly not the friendliest kitten we met that day, but he pulled at my heart.

Hamilton still is not an overly affectionate cat, but that is ok because every nudge, purr and cuddle when given, feels even more rewarding. Long story short, we discovered that his history was he was born to a feral cat who had given birth to multiple litters at a chemical plant, which is dangerous enough but add to that it is a very high traffic area. So, he was a lucky fellow that an employee cared enough to take him in for a chance in a forever home. (The mom has since been caught, spayed, ear clipped and released)
We have worked with Hamilton to be accept our petting, and our shows of affections. He seems to like to bite me, more than my husband or the kids. (our kids are teenager or preteen age) In fact he will lay with our daughter, on his terms and when he wants to. like most cats I know. We have a friend who works at the rescue shelter, and she was good with advice on ways to help Hamilton be more accepting of being held and petted. He is much better than when he first came home, and continues to show his loving side everyday. We know he may never be a lap cat, or snuggler but we love him just as he accepts us.

We also have two dogs our boston (8years) and a pekingnese (5 years old). Hamilton gets along very well with both of our ladies. In fact most days he acts more like a dog than a cat. The three of them are often found taking sun naps together, or bird watching from their favorite window.

Anyway, I am happy to be here . I look forward to exploring the forum and getting to know each of you as well.

Quote:
Two feet moves our body, but four feet moves our soul.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1580.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	80953  

Last edited by marie73; 02-06-2015 at 07:12 PM. Reason: font
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 03:57 AM
Premier Cat

Welcome Peachfuzz!
Hammy sounds like a little character! He's certainly cute!
I think there's a few cats that think they're part dog, and some dogs that think they're part cat!
Your two doggies are very cute!
I also love your saying!
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 08:18 AM
Premier Cat

As a large municipal shelter volunteer myself, what you wrote is music to my ears!!

"He was certainly not the friendliest kitten we met that day, but he pulled at my heart."

This is how selections should be made - not by looks or length of cat fur or eye color or breed.

"We know he may never be a lap cat, or snuggler but we love him just as he accepts us."

You have no idea how many people are not willing to do this. We get cats surrendered every week from people that are not half this dedicated.

Thank you for joining the forum and I look forward to more posts from a "neighbor".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you both for your replies. It was warm welcome to come back read them both.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 04:12 PM
Cat Addict

Just want to say "well done".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page