I was never a cat person... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I was never a cat person...

...until my cat adopted me.

I was working at an animal shelter and there were a lot of cats who were put down everyday. About a dozen were euthanized everyday (it was a big city shelter that took in all surrenders). I was cleaning the litter boxes in the sick cat room and these two little paws reached out for me. She was a tortie cat, and she just kept meowing at me and reaching for me. I looked at her tag and she was scheduled for euth the next day. I don't know what it was, but somehow she just reached out to me. I took her home the next day. The vet was coming in to "do rounds" on the cats scheduled to be put down. I took her out of her cage and said I'm adopting her.

And so that's how I brought home an animal I've never had in my life! We got her on anti-biotics for her URI and in just a week she was better. I was worried mostly because I have a dog who in the past would chase cats. But the weird thing was as soon as we brought the cat home, instantly they were friends. They slept together in the dog bed. It's like my dog knew she was sick and was trying to help her get better!

Fast forward to today- my boyfriend and I still have Pancake. she's 7 years old (the tortie mentioned above!), and we took in another cat we named Flapjack. He was a kitten we found wandering around alone in our neighborhood ridden with fleas and worms. He's a big fat happy cat now. He's almost a year old.

We also have two dogs, both pit-bull mixes. Everyone gets along so well it's amazing. Our oldest dog Penny and Pancake (the tortie) have the biggest bond. They spend a lot of time laying together and Pancake will groom her for hours. Flapjack the youngest cat thinks he's a dog. He runs around and plays with the dogs all time.

And recently, we somehow we found ourselves taking in an abandoned 3 week old kitten last week. We waited for the mom to return but she never did so we bought KMR and a heating pad and have her in our bathroom. I found that a lot of great advice for kitten care was on this site so I thought I'd join in!

Thanks for this awesome site. I'm happy to join and share our cat stories!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CutestTOOTS.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	116498  

Name:	20160928_000613_LLS.jpg
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	116506  

Name:	chocolate chip pancakeWEB.jpg
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	116514  

Name:	20170201_235742_LLS (2).jpg
Views:	5
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	116538  

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 09:49 AM
Jr. Cat

Thanks for your story. What a wonderful family you have.

Don't be to critical of a mistake. It is evidence that at least
someone tried to do something.
Become better than you used to be, not better than someone else.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 02:59 PM
Premier Cat

What a wonderful story!....yes cats will choose their owner. Your story would make a wonderful children's book. So sweet!

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 05:18 PM
Kitten

Thanks for sharing, and welcome to the cat forum!

Your story reminds me of my cat Max (RIP) who was adopted when he was a kitten. My family had a Pomeranian and a bigger dog outside (the big dog, BJ, followed my dad home and nobody ever posted anything saying they were missing a dog in our neighborhood, so we kept him). Eventually, Shadow, the Pomeranian, started to act like Max the cat - he'd sleep in the places Max would, wait in the window for us to come home, and so much more. It was a wonder that they got along so well, but it may be because both were adopted young, and Shadow was small as Max.

Shadow and Max were both the runts of their family I suppose - Shadow was the only black Pomeranian, with a white paw (his full name was Moon Shadow for that reason), and Max was a fiery little redhead. I loved them both so much. They both died of old age years ago.

Below is a goofy picture of Sandstorm, my current kitty - and Max the Persian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Resized-CatitPicture.jpg
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	116578  

Name:	Maxfield_bed.JPG
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	116586  

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 10:30 PM
Cool Cat

stories like these always warm my heart. it truly is wonderful how an animal can reach into our hearts so completely and fill our lives with love and happiness. they're the best and being chosen by one is so special!

Maggie & Phoebe
Kitty, Lucy Girl, Bobby Boy, and my sweet Angel forever in my heart.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page