Thinking of getting a new cat-- adult or kitten? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Cool Thinking of getting a new cat-- adult or kitten?

Hi Everyone,

My boyfriend and I have recently been thinking about adding a new cat to our home, and we are struggling with the choice of getting an adult cat or a kitten. Our current situation is this:

We have two wonderful male cats, Grizz and Dot Com (30 rock fans should understand the names). They're both big boys but Grizz is our biggest boy-- he's a 4-5 year old all black sweetie. Grizz is a bit of a 'fraidy cat with other people, but is calm with us-- he's not really a lap kitty, but will sit on either my lap or my boyfriend's lap (usually his) about once a day. He's super super gentle. Dot Com is a 2-3 year old black and white tuxedo guy with the cutest little mustache. He's super high energy and crazy athletic-- Dot Com isn't a lap kitty either, but he loves attention, being brushed. and what I call 'rough pet' (which isn't really rough, i just pet him really fast and he loves it). He's never gotten in either of our laps-- not his thing. Before my boyfriend moved in with me, he would sleep right above my head on my pillow (and he does this when my boyfriend travels and I'm home alone), but for whatever reason doesn't do it when my boyfriend is sleeping in bed with me.

We rescued both of them last year-- they weren't bonded or from the same home, but we couldn't choose between the two of them so we got both! I wouldn't say they're super bonded, but they get along just fine and have a peaceful existence. They play with each other, groom each other, and very rarely squabble. They're big boys (Grizz is about 20 pounds, Dot Com is about 17), but very healthy, spoiled, and loved.

Since we have two males, the consensus seems to be to get a female, and we're happy to do that. Since our boys are both still young, I don't think a baby kitten would bother them or annoy them (like one may a senior cat). I would be very careful about proper introductions with either a kitten or an adult-- I'll be sure to do it the right way. Some people seem to think that my boys would take to a kitten easier, or wouldn't be threatened-- anyone have experience with this? Selfishly, I'd love to get a baby kitten because I've always rescued adult cats and have never gotten to experience the fun of a kitten, but at the same time, I know it is easier for them to find homes, and I'd really love to help an adult cat in need who may get passed over at the shelter otherwise. But on the flip side, I don't want to add stress to the life of a cat who doesn't want to be around my two big boys, and perhaps a kitten who grew up with them would be much calmer about this.

The other component here is that the goal, among other things, is to get a lap kitty/snuggler for myself. My absolutely wonderful long haired black and white girl named Oreo passed away two years ago, and I've never met a more affectionate cat. She was incredibly bonded to me and I still can barely talk about her without welling up with tears. I couldn't sit down for more than two minutes without her being on my lap, on my chest, on top of my face, etc. While I don't expect quite that much from a new cat (especially right away), I dearly miss the closeness of a lap cat. There are four adult female cats at my local shelter who definitely fit that bill (or at least they were snuggly at the shelter-- who knows how the presence of my 2 boys would effect them), and 3 baby kittens who I think will turn into snugglers, as they are very calm when I pick them up and start purring basically the second I hold them.

Anyway, I apologize for the length of this post-- I am stumped as to what to do! I would appreciate any and all help, advice, anecdotes, thoughts from experience, etc. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 03:00 PM
Kitten

Mollykd90 - I have a 6 year old female "petite" polydactyl kitty that MAY need a good home. I am in Northern Ohio so if you're relatively close by we can talk some more if you're interested.

Thanks, Paul.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page