Why I'm here - no outside for cats - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Why I'm here - no outside for cats

I want to know more about the cat adoption process. I can't get a cat I like because I'd let him go in a cage on my balcony and enjoy was "outside" he has. But the adoption people say, not allowed. Cannot allow the cat outside, ever, even if totally controlled such as a pen. A large one.

Can someone explain to me, aside from overprotection via the caretakers in the clinic, why I'm not fit to own a cat? I'd keep it quarantined at my house when it goes outside, always supervised - and always in cage. Please explain this to me. How is that bad? I want a justified reason why this isn't a problem for wild cats, and only domestic cats. And why I get cryptic answers if I try to adopt, only afterward telling me I'm a "bad owner?" Because I'd let the cat have restrained outside enjoyment? The humane society and their cronies are so eager to find loving homes for them, are they? No. They're not. They miss the point: cats are outside animals, by nature. Why would they turn away a loving owner who allows a cat the bliss of napping in the sun, hearing the birds, listening to nature's sounds?

I know there is a rare flea-borne illness out there. It's more rare than the stray population. There are people who will care for these animals. We're not allowed to. Fine, I guess. I refuse to taunt, cause behavioral issues and encourage animosity between me and my pet because some lady, who isn't a doctor, doesn't like it! This is absurd. My cat isn't going to have a crappy life for reasons I can't control - like any possible situation. But that's what they want.

Why is this flea borne illness so new? Did it not exist 10-15 years ago? Is there a reason all the outdoor cats I see everyday don't have it?Are we being a little too uppity here?

Thanks for listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Cats have been domesticated for years, they don't have to be outside. Most agencies in the U.S. won't adopt to people who will let their cats outside. That's because of cars, predators, evil people, etc. I think it's over the top not to allow you to put the cat in a large cage on a balcony. But most of the people at the HS and adoption agencies are volunteers, not getting paid, and just following the rules.

Go to a different agency and don't tell them you're going to put the cat in a cage on your balcony.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 12:32 PM
Cool Cat

very true. they're just trying to avoid adopting to anyone who just willingly lets their cats roam around outside where it would be exposed to all those dangers. I compare it to letting your young children roam the streets on their own. but if you are watching over him and keeping him in a safe area away from all those dangers, I think it's completely acceptable. like Marie said, don't tell them. if you know you're a responsible cat mom, then that's what matters. I fully believe everyone at the agency would be in agreement, but if you outright tell them you're going to let a cat outside, they just HAVE to follow the rules.

a perfect example of how careful you have to be with what you say out loud is at the airport! even the mention of certain things meant as a "joke" will have the TSA swarming you in seconds, right? sorta the same thing at the shelter.

Maggie & Phoebe
Kitty, Lucy Girl, Bobby Boy, and my sweet Angel forever in my heart.

Last edited by marie73; 08-08-2017 at 02:23 PM. Reason: removed quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page