My cat is 19 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

My cat is 19

I got two cats before I was married or had kids. These were my first animals that I got myself as an adult (I grew up with family cats, never my own). They were with me through thick and thin! Pookie lived to 19 before kidney failure took her. Putting her down was very traumatic. She screamed and cried and turned and looked at me, it seemed like it lasted forever, and felt like I betrayed her. Now 2 years later my Brownie, who is 19, is not doing well. I took her to vet and blood panel revealed a kidney infection, so another test was ordered to determine if the antibiotic she was prescribing was the right one. It was, but she is not any better. We are feeding her with eye dropper and she is so weak she can't stand, but she is still bright eyed and affectionate and responsive. I took her to vet again and he wanted to put her down that day. My kids begged me to let her come home, so that's what I did. She doesn't seem to be in pain and just sleeps and eats and drinks what we give her. My wish is for her to go peacefully on her own. I feel like she isn't ready to go yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

I'm sorry about what happened with your other cat, but it's not normal. That's not what usually happens.

I'm a firm believer in NOT letting cats go on their own. I don't believe it's "peaceful" at all. When Cinderella no longer wanted to eat, it was time. I would have only been keeping her around for myself and I refused to make her eat just for me. She went very peacefully, in my arms, in a garden at my vet's office.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 11:14 PM
Kitten

Cats are experts at hiding discomfort. Unless they're in agony they usually show little signs of distress. Saying goodbye is never fun, but it's poor Brownie's time. I'm always of the opinion that it's a more loving act to put them out of their misery than to let them suffer too long because the family can't bring themselves to let go. Unfortunately, there is rarely a case when a cat goes peacefully on its own, despite the outward appearances that they seem to be okay.

Euthanasia is virtually painless for the cat. She is a lucky cat to live that long! I hope Turbo makes it that far. Good luck. Be strong and do what's right for Brownie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 08:55 PM
Cat Addict

If and when you make the decision and you are concerned about the same situation happening at the vets, ask the vet for a tranquilizer before you bring her in. Say your goodbyes before you give it to her. Allow enough time for it to work. That should help eliminate her stress.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 09:10 PM
Cat

Depending on where you live, is at-home euthanization an option? In addition to providing closure for you and your friend it can be instructive for your children.

https://www.lapoflove.com/Home

My deepest sympathy in this most difficult of times.

4ever in my Heart
Dizzy my PookieMoose
June 2003- August 26 2017
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 12:34 PM
Cool Cat

Karen, I'm so sorry you're having to go through saying good bye again soon. 19 is a good long life. my sweet Angel passed at 15 1/2 with CKD. and I did have a vet come to the house to help her along on that very sad day. I wanted to her to maintain some dignity and I think she did. she was absolutely beautiful that day and it was very peaceful. I hope the answer comes to you on the timing. when it does, definitely have them sedate her first before the 2nd shot. it's just too sudden without it.

Maggie & Phoebe
Kitty, Lucy Girl, Bobby Boy, and my sweet Angel forever in my heart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page