Hello! New to this forum! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Smile Hello! New to this forum!

My name is Jinkyung (Jin-ki-young)! I am a new member in this forum!

I owned different animals here and there especially cats. I had two cats in my life before the one I have now but unfortunately, I had to give them away due to moving/parents. But now I have my own cat!

I rescued this domestic long-haired cat at a animal shelter, originally named Sweetie pie which is true by its name! It is such a sweet and lovable cat. Her color is like a tabby with black and brown, she kind of looks like a tiger! Her name now is Mizuki (which means beautiful moon in Japanese) or Mizu (means water) for short.

The only reason why I signed up for a forum is I need help. Mizu is very sweet; she doesn't bite, isn't territorial, doesn't hiss, and she doesn't scratch. However, I believe she was traumatized because she gets scared easily. She would try to hide especially at this corner with her temporary bed which is the only open space where she can hide. It's easily for me to see/pet her so it's ok for her to hide now. But I want to have her socialize or at least come out of her corner.

There are many factors like she isn't playful with toys, she can literally stayed at her corner all day if she wants to. She would only come out if I bring out food for her.
She is cuddly and can be a lap cat if she's on someone's lap. But she doesn't want to venture out so I am worried.

I can explain more if needed, but yeah that's my lengthy introduction post lol!

Thanks for reading!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20171114_20_46_20_Pro.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	120458  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 03:54 AM
Premier Cat

Hi Jinkyung, congratulations on your new kitty! She's beautiful.

It's very possible that Mizu was traumatized either by her previous owner or by the experience of being at the shelter. How long have you had her? It's not unusual for kitties to find a safe place and hide when they go to a new home. As she gets more comfortable with the new location and with you, and she gains confidence, she'll come out. My suggestion is to not push things. For example, I wouldn't pick her up and put her on your lap until she comes out on her own. She may enjoy it, but the fact that she keeps going to hide says that she's not yet ready. You could sit on the floor near her quietly, without trying to pet her, which she may see as threatening. If she was abused or suffered some kind of trauma, she may think a hand reaching out to her wants to hit her. My kitty always reacts this way unless I put out my hand palm up, and we have lived together for 15.5 years. (!!)

Some kitties, like mine, are also just naturally timid, so she may always have a tendency to hide. But if you take it slowly, let her call the shots, and just be patient and reassuring, she will become less afraid and then you'll probably have a velcro kitty!

PS - If I may ask, are you Korean? I'm wondering because of your name - my Korean name is So-young.

Last edited by spirite; 11-19-2017 at 03:57 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I've only had her for almost a week. Maybe it's just she's needs to get used to her environment. My thoughts were she's never going to get out of her corner, she does have a bed which she used, thank god! But I'll take your advice and try to let her do her own thing!

And yes I am Korean!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I've only had her for almost a week. Maybe it's just she's needs to get used to her environment. My thoughts were she's never going to get out of her corner, she does have a bed which she used, thank god! But I'll take your advice and try to let her do her own thing!

And yes I am Korean! But it's both my American and Korean name lol!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 03:53 PM
Senior Cat

sometimes the addition of a cat tree can help, it gives them a safe spot with a view..

yeti cat: two toes short of the record books
eons ago there must had been a creature with a roar
like a vacuum cleaner, it most likely ate cats.
smokey,yeti, pansy, violet, ember and brullie
jolene, tammi and emma the ghost kitties in the house
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 01:23 AM
Premier Cat

Oh, a week is really nothing to worry about. The fact that she isn't playing with toys doesn't necessarily mean she doesn't like toys. It's just not tempting enough, like food is, for her to risk coming out of her safe spot. She may be afraid that any moment, she'll be going back to the shelter. Her personality is not likely to change, but her level of trust in you will keep increasing. Once she feels more confident, I'll bet you'll find that she wants to play as well as cuddle. Do you know her age?

tghsmith's idea of getting her a cat tree is a great suggestion. Cats do feel safe when they're up high.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 07:21 AM
Cool Cat

What a beautiful cat! Give her time. She's had a shock, being in a shelter and then coming to you. I'd not push myself on her, but just be gently quietly near her - maybe with some treats to share? As long as she has a place to hide that feels secure to her, she can relax as she becomes accustomed to her new home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page