Learning About Cats - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Learning About Cats

A few years ago, my neighbors abandoned their calico, she went feral, and eventually we adopted her. She's my first cat. We recently moved her from Hawaii to California. She's had a total personality change since then, and I joined this forum to see if I might understand what she needs and what's going on with her as she's gone into hiding. I've had dogs all my life and "get" them, but I don't quite get cats yet. Hope to learn from you all. Here's her picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cali posing.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	121026  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 09:14 PM
Tom Cat

It's normal for cats to be stressed by moving and want to hide for a while, as they are very much homebodies.
How long ago did you move? Since you came from Hawaii, did you sell your furniture there and buy all new when you arrived on the mainland? If so, the whole house may smell very strange to her.
You may need to just be patient and sit in the room she's hiding in reading a book or listening to music or something. If she likes being brushed, flick the bristles to let her know that you're there to do that.
Some people have good results with those plug-in pheromone things like Feliway, so that's something that might calm her down.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 12:01 AM
Cool Cat

yeah. give her time and patience and lots of love and as many familiar scents as possible. she's obviously already had big changes in her life that she got through. i'm sure she's tough enough to adjust to this, too. you can do it!
p.s. if you are still kind of in the dark about cat behavior, though, you will be doing you and her a huge favor by reading some books like "thin like a cat" or some jackson galaxy books. just get 'em for free from the library. tons of info out there and it will give you a lot more confidence!

Maggie & Phoebe
Kitty, Lucy Girl, Bobby Boy, and my sweet Angel forever in my heart.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page