Hello from Murphie in South Florida! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Wink Hello from Murphie in South Florida!

I'm the happy, but tired and achy mom of two adult males and one male kitty who found me a few months ago.

I enjoyed a king size bed with my snoring husband for over 20 years. The snoring was manageable; I'd just poke him and he'd roll to his side and all was quiet....for awhile anyway. About a year ago, when he turned 65, his brain became hyperactive during the night and he'd not only snore, but would jolt me awake with loud laughter, talking, or banging his legs and arms up and down on the bed as if running to or from something. I can only assume he was dreaming of his youthful days.

This was not an occasional occurrence, but several times a week. Getting my own bed in another room was imperative.

The spare bedroom, mostly used as a computer room, contains all the odd, non-functional pieces of furniture accumulated over the years that one can't bear to part with, leaving little room for a bed. Although one now has to negotiate a maze to get to the bathroom, the twin size daybed we bought was a necessity for what I had hoped would be peaceful slumber. Alas, such was not the case.

At the time of purchase we had only the two grown cats which, preferring my company and bed over my husband's, always managed to find a spot on my small bed. The same spot. Though they are twins, one is quite larger than the other. The only way we could all fit on the bed was for me to lie on my side and one cat stretched out flat against my front with his head by my chin, and the larger one against my back. My kitties don't lie 'next' to me, they lie 'into' me. It was tight, but we managed.

However, with the addition of the little 5 month old fella who also likes my bed, things have become, well, there's not a specific word for it.
When he is sleeping, he finds a place somewhere between, around or on top of my legs. It's impossible for me to move...at all. I find myself in the same position in the morning. As all kitty owners know, when a kitten is not sleeping, it is zooming from one thing to the next, which is exactly what this little one does, but he does it on my bed, attacking anything that moves, or playing Ninja-kitty and pouncing on one of the other two while they sleep.

With the one in front who's head is in my face, the one at my back that snores (who I also have to poke sometimes because he wakes me), and the little one bouncing around the bed, I can't move, breathe, or get more than an hour or two sound sleep. Thus, my tired and achy body.

I may have to reassess they pros and cons of the situation. At least in the king size bed with my husband I could roll over and didn't have tiny teeth and claws in my toes should I wiggle them, and the cats don't go on his bed, probably for the same reasons I left it.

Have a great day Kitty Kat Lovers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 01:20 PM
Premier Cat

Well, Murphie48, if I got as little sleep as you're getting I would be a basket case! Suggest you re-home your 5 mo. old kitten, or give him to a humane society.....kitties get homes easily, older cats don't. He should adapt quickly at his age in a new home. Kitties are cute but can be disruptive and the kitten phase can last up to 2 yrs.! With so little sleep, you are at risk for getting illnesses and having accidents. I wouldn't risk it---for your sake and hubby's.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 01:29 PM
Premier Cat

Red face Another suggestion if you really can't part with kitty

I should have added that the only way you can get a good uninterrupted sleep is to ban your cats from the bed at night. If you have a spare room, put them in there, and have something soft and comfy for them to sleep in....a box, basket or cat carrier. Feed them an evening snack just before you go to bed and they will come to look forward to going to their room to sleep. Happy dreams!

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page