First time cat owner - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Red face First time cat owner

Hello! You can call me cloudy and I'm from Malaysia. The reason why I joined this forum is to actually seeking advice on how to raise kittens that was abandoned by their sick mother because there are only a few shelters available in my area. I heard that you shouldn't send these kittens to the shelter because they usually euthanize them? I'm not so sure, I'm really new at this. Hopefully I'm able to raise these kittens as healthy as they should even without their mother before putting them up for adoption!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 02:52 PM
Premier Cat

Welcome, Cloudy.....Thank you for rescuing the kittens. It can be difficult raising kittens for one reason that it's a big time commitment. They must be bottle fed with "kitten formula" fed every few hours.....4-5 times a day or more. Do you still have the mother cat? This would be ideal if you can take her to the vet to get treatment of whatever her ailment may be. It's possible that when she's well, she may still be able to nusrse the kittens, tho they woudl have to be supplemented until her milk production is adequate. If you no longer have the mother cat, another option is to find a shelter that has a female nursing kittens, or a friend who has. Ideally kittens should be with their momacat, where they will nurse until they are starting to eat kitten food around age 2 mos. Kittens go through an important socialization period during the first 3 months of their life and should be kept together with the momcat until they are ready to go to a new home at 3-4 months of age. By that time they should be eating well on their own, and they will have learned their manners thro play, wrestling and interaction with the momacat----how to control their bite and claws, how to communicate with other cats through body language and sounds, to be social with people by gentle handling, learning how to tolerate having their claws clipped and being groomed. A kitten that misses out on this socialization period, especially if it is an orphan kitten, may be a biter as an adult cat. If you do not have this time commitmnt to raise these kittens in the next 3 months, then please do inquire if a shelter is able do this, or a friend that has had experience in raising kittens. I hope you find this info will help you to make a decision.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page