Hello from Henry and Sherman - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Hello from Henry and Sherman

@@ Hello. I'm new to the forum and cat ownership. I have two kittens, Henry who is 7 months, part siamese. And Sherman, 5 months, just a regular black and white kitty. Henry is a farm cat that followed his mommy to the house but decided to crawl under the car and under the hood. We heard a meow and looked under the hood to see this beautiful 7 week old kitten sitting on the battery. No question, he was coming home with us. A few months later while visiting the vet, I was introduced to little Sherman who had been hit by a car and brought in by a police officer. Henry loves his new little brother and both are doing well, except for the stinky poop problem!!!

I've read a few posts on this issue and have taken notes. I've learned a lot just in one visit. Going to switch to a different brand tomorrow. Question though, regarding kitten food. How long should a kitten stay on their diet before switching to adult? I've asked the vet and was told one year. There seems to be limited brands of kitten formula. That's why I ask. Also, does anyone feed canned food. I always thought that was the major cause of stinky poop, etc.

Sorry for such a long post and any questions that may have been asked and answered already.

Kelly and Scott - humans
Henry and Sherman - cats @@
Mopsy and Petey - house rabbits @@
Chiquita and Bubba - chinchillas @@
Packer - quaker parrot
And anxiously waiting to get a dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 09:10 PM
Cool Cat

Hi and welcome! I'm new here too.
About how long to feed kitten food...I was told one year also but I asked a friend of mine who knows a lot about cats and she told me it was okay to switch after 6 or 7 months if you need to. In my case, my roommate's cat (a senior citizen kitty) was eating my cat's kitten food, which was really not good for her. I couldn't keep her out of it so I switched my cat to adult food a bit early.

Shannon
Loving her cat Stormy and missing her angel cat Justin 1-13-09
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 09:55 PM
Cat Addict

welcome to the forums.... i also welcome the rest of your large family

i kept my cats on kitten food for about a year... i feed them the Royal Canin kitten formula.

Visit The Animal Rescue Site at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
feed an abandoned or abused animal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 10:28 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Hi and welcome! Aren't you glad you discovered how great kittens are? We also had a black kitten rescued from a car engine. My son heard it meowing (some Siamese in the bloodines=loud voice) just before my neighbor turned the key. Close call!

We're happy to have you here and hope to hear from you often!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 10:42 PM

Welcome to CatForum!

And I agree, 1 year to switch a kitten to cat food.. But 2 years (i think it is) to switch a puppy to adult.. Or so I've heard??
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your warm welcomes. I hope to post pictures but my scanner isn't working right now.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 07:38 AM

Welcome to the Cat Forum. Can't wait to see some pictures!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 03:17 PM

Welcome!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 03:51 PM

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2003, 09:11 PM
Premier Cat

Welcome to the forum! I switched my 2 cats around 8-9 months even though it said one year. I feed them a canned food every morning and I heard the thing about stinky poop but I dont think its that b/c Twinkie has non stinky poop and Sugar's is definitely stinky! They both eat the same foods too. Glad to hear your 2 cats get along great, I dont know what I would do if Twinkie and Sugar didnt get along
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page