Cat Forum banner

Feeding big chicken bones

9K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Cats Rule 
#1 ·
So for breakfast today my cats had chicken. I gave them the chicken and disposed the rest of the drumstick in the garbage. I went in my room and 5 minutes later, I hear chewing. They managed to topple the garbage can and took out both of the drumsticks. My cat memo finished the entire drumstick in less than 5 minutes. It was a HUGE drumstick and had no meat on it but he still ate all of it. I thought chicken bones were too big for cats. The whole time I was scared he might choke, break his teeth or something because it was huge. Something you'd feed to a dog.

Do you think it's OK to feed chicken bones if the cats are able to handle it? I regularly feed my cats 2 or 3 quails per week...but I get chicken for free so I would be saving a LOT of money.

#2 ·
Chicken bones (or any cooked bones for that matter) are not good for cats or dogs. Don't believe cats would be any different. The cooked bones can splinter up fairly easy and cause some serious issues.

I would keep a close eye on them just in case you notice any odd behavior, and take them into the vets if you get too concerned. My grandparents have had plenty of dogs and cats who have ate chicken bones and been fine, but you never know- there is always that chance they could splinter or cause blockage in some way.

Hopefully everything will be fine though. It most likely will, not trying to scare you but it's an important to know. So again, it is not okay to feed cats (or dogs) cooked bones of any kind. ^_^ Even if they appear to be handling them okay!

EDIT: RAW is a whole different story, I have to run, someone else can fill in the blanks lol

anywho, good luck. and LOL also, because cats can be so darn sneaky and quick!!!!

#3 ·
That's kinda funny, I gave my cats chicken drumsticks for breakfast, too. One of the bones went missing, and we're assuming the dog ate it since the kittens took a nap after their meal. (Eating is such hard work, you know?)

But, to answer, raw bones of any sort and size are fine as far as I know. If the cat's willing to chew it, and it's still soft enough to eat. The only worries I've heard and read were regarding large dogs with smaller bones that they would attempt to swallow whole. Or with cats that were intimidated by a large chicken neck.
Granted, I picked half of that out of a Yahoo question from about 3 years ago that came up in a google search earlier when I was prepping to serve my kittens their drumsticks. And of course, there were also dozens of, "No, no, raw meat and any kinds of bones are bad for cats!" responses to the same question ;)

#7 ·
What I want to know is if raw bones like drumsticks are not good for cats then what is the reason? Just curious. Esp. if they're able to chew it (like i said, my cat took all of it within 5 minutes).

Also, if i were to use chicken drumsticks as their main source of bone, then how many should i give per week?

#8 ·
Any raw chicken bones are fine for cats. A fair amount of raw fed cats are not that enthusiastic about eating large bones. But some can manage to consume the whole drumstick. Mine will only get through half of one before giving up. Drumsticks are about 33% bone.

#9 ·
Raw chicken bones are fine. I feed my cats raw chicken bone all the time. Sometimes I use drumsticks or wings and sometimes I use Cornish game hens.

If the bones are raw, it's ok. Do not feed them or any pet a cooked bone. The cooked bone becomes soft and can splinter--an animal can choke on this bone or get it caught somewhere, cut their esophagus on the way down, etc.

Raw bones: Ok
Cooked bones: Not ok

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.