Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Cat-proofing Balcony
View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 12:51 AM
Carmel
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
I'm sorry, but I disagree with letting the cat fall. While the cat may right itself and avoid injury...what happens between the time the cat falls and the OP runs outside to get the cat? Maybe s/he's in shock and stays right there...but just as likely the cat runs off in fear to hide somewhere...into the road as a car comes by, under a car, or just simply disappears. That's not a chance I'd take.
I realise it's not a chance a lot of people will take, but when you're not allowed to place netting up due to building restrictions it's a chance I am willing to take. My cat loved going outside all hours of the day and night on the balcony, I left the door open almost 24/7 except in the winter. He never even jumped up on the railing (although he must have once to fall off...) and again it's one of those quality of life deals.

I can understand why people wouldn't do this, and reasons why, but from all experiences I've had (the four times it's happened with cats in my family from floors 1 and 3) the cat has remained in the bushes below and has been unharmed, and never done it again the rest of their life even though all of the cats have had free access to the balcony their entire lives. There's also two cats in the family that lived their whole life under the same circumstances of free balcony access and never went over the ledge their entire life. I will add though, that after the third floor I would not allow my cat on the balcony if I could not put netting up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Last edited by Carmel; 06-02-2011 at 12:54 AM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome