Cat Forum banner

Constant Meowing

2K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Two Siamese 
#1 ·
3 year old nuetered male has been having a moment for about 4 weeks. Meowing NON STOP during the night, im bordering giving him away to my parents i need rest as i work 6 days a week at the moment, how do i get him to stop.

#2 ·
You stop hearing him ;) Seriously there are ways you can guide his behaviour, but what a cat wants to do, in the end they'll do! Perhaps he thinks he's singing you a lullaby.

Is he sleeping with you or separated from you? Maybe he's a sad little boy who'd like to sleep with you!

#8 ·
On a related issue . .

meowing I could probably take (I think). Don't know about 24/7 though!

But how long after being neutered does it take for the caterwauling to cease?
It's only intermittent, so I can put up with it, but my neighbor isn't very happy. I understand that it takes some time for the hormones to "pass through". I am amazed at the volume of noise that can come from a small animal!!!!

#10 ·
meowing I could probably take (I think). Don't know about 24/7 though!

But how long after being neutered does it take for the caterwauling to cease?
It's only intermittent, so I can put up with it, but my neighbor isn't very happy. I understand that it takes some time for the hormones to "pass through". I am amazed at the volume of noise that can come from a small animal!!!!
We got Bertie neutered about 3 weeks ago and he was awful at first for waking us up in the middle of the night. I'm glad to say he's mellowed out a bit now, and only meows in the morning just before we get up.
So judging on our experience, I'd say give it a couple of weeks? It was really bad right after he was fixed, and much better now.

#11 ·
If he's meowing it means he wants something...be it food, play, attention, etc. Obviously you can't do these things while sleeping, but maybe you can try giving him some extra play before bed to see if that helps? Or make sure he has some toys he can use himself to stay occupied.

Apollo starts meowing at 5am every morning because he thinks he needs to eat breakfast the second he wakes up. As I don't like getting up at 5am, my solution has been to just keep my bedroom door closed at night. Unfortunately that is sometimes the only option if you have a cat who won't settle down at night/early in the morning.

#12 ·
My girls do this sometimes too, Evie in particular. Usually it's because they want to get into the living room, mainly to terrorise our hamsters.

They also do it when they haven't had a lot of human-kitty time during the day. So I have to play with them and chase them around before bed time to try and wear them out.

Otherwise, I have to close our bedroom door. However, they have both worked out how to scratch the carpet and pull the whole thing up! Not great when we're trying to sell the house. We can't let them downstairs either because of the hamsters, and the kitchen is out of bounds as they can open the cupboards!

I guess that's the joy of being owned by cats!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.