Cat Forum banner

Your cats' upper body strength?

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Maleke 
#1 ·
By upper body I mean the fore legs and up.

Lately, I've noticed Zoltan doing the strangest thing. Instead of just jumping up on the window sill like a normal cat, he will stand on his hind legs and stretch up until he can grab the sill with his front paws. Then he presses himself up until he gets in the window sill without any jump to get started. The only help he gets from his back legs is a little scratching at the wall when he's near the sill to help him settle in. I've never seen a cat do that before and when I see my other cats miss their mark on the jump, normally they can't pull themselves up.

Have any of you seen your cats doing a "pull up" like that?

Even as a kitten, Zoltan seemed to have an unusual amount of upper body strength. I remember when he'd be hanging from the scratching post perch by one paw and he'd be able to grab it with his other paw and pull himself up. Whenever Knievel tried to do that, he always ended up letting go and falling.

#3 ·
Barnaby sort of does this. Sometimes he jumps from the kitchen counter to the top of the refrigerator and because it's a long jump he grabs on to the edge of the freezer door with his front paws and pulls himself up. I'm waiting for the time that the freezer door flies open when he is doing this. Hasn't happened yet and I'm surprised.

#4 ·
I have some tall TALL kitchen cabinets that my kittens jump up on, and that's exactly how they get up there, jump up and grab the threshhold with their front paws and pull themselves the rest of the way up. They are up there so often I actually broke down and carpeted it for them....

katsprat

#5 ·
Many of you should remember the cat I rescued from the side of the road and named Tykhe. He is a 2 legged wonder cat. His upper body strength is INCREDIBLE, but it took time to get to this! He bounds around the house with my mom's 9 year old Siamese cat every night....haha. They are SO funny to watch. When Simbah, the Siamese runs you hear like a rumble across the house. When Tykhe runs it's like ba doom ba doom ba doom. It's SO funny! You can always tell which cat is coming!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.