Cat Forum banner

Does your kitty prefer sleeping on the back?

3K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  dweamgoil 
#1 ·
My Metoo sleeps on her back all the time. I think I see her tummy more often than her face ;) I never had a cat acting like her before, so just wondering if it's kinda common?

PS: Maybe I should make a pillow for her :lol:

Is that a... "air pillow" she is holding? :lol:

Even when she is napping on my laps she prefers this pose :roll:

Metoo was in the middle of playing while the "sudden sleep sydrom" kicked in :devil

Again, she was playing with my shoe lace, and the next time I checked, she was soundly asleep 8-O

See less See more
#3 ·
Oh my gosh, those pics are so cute!! My girls have never slept that way. Margaux occasionally rolls over on her back and stays like that for a couple of minutes, head looking in all directions, front paws bent over like in the 2nd picture of Metoo. MowMow looks so dainty with her (his?) paws together like that.

The stray does sleep on his back on my deck, in positions that look absolutely impossible. I'll have to try to get a picture.

#4 ·
Abby always sleeps on her back, with her four paws stuck up in the air. She looks so adorable and it always brings a smile to my face to see her sleeping like that. I've heard it's a bit of a Ragdoll trait, although no doubt many other cats like to sleep that way. Here are a few pics:

Sleeping on the front (enclosed) porch:

Just waking up:

Relaxing with Muffs (who rarely sleeps on her back):

#13 ·
Whiskers does it all the time, especially this summer.. it makes me think its to cool down? I mean full spread eagle on her back.. often just looking around, sometimes sleeping, sometimes giving the "hey got a beer for me?" look that fits the pose.

I usually muse that she should be a better lady and act with a bit more grace.. but I can't blame her if she's just trying to cool off..

It is cute and she usually allows a quick rub of her belly before flipping over.

#14 ·
Azalia used to sleep like that often, but then Egypt kept pouncing on her so she doesn't trust her any more. She now sleeps on her side, but with the paws and feet up. She does do the beer gut sitting down thing when she's grooming. It's too funny to see them sitting that way!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.